virus on my computer
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CedarCoFarmGirl
Participating Member

14 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2004 :  15:41:47  Show Profile
The last e-mail message sent was July 17. The message was not delivered because it and 8 other messages, the 8 automatically created by Exim, had come from Jbuxbaum. They were listed as fotoinfo, foto1.com, foto2, foto3, fish.exe, The snake, Lowely animal, Dog.exe.

I updated Ad-ware, Spybot and ran them. Tracking cookies were deleted.

What do I do next?

XP,Pentium4,80GHD,56KModem

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2004 :  22:18:04  Show Profile
You said nothing about any AntiVirus program. Do you run any AntiVirus software? Update it often? Does it run the entire time your computer is running?

If the answer to any of the above is NO, you need to go to http://www.Trendmicro.com and use their "housecall" scanner (it's FREE) to check your system

David
No animals were injured in the production of this e-mail... Win XP-Home Athlon 512MB 2-Way Satellite
Go to Top of Page

CedarCoFarmGirl
Participating Member

14 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2004 :  06:25:38  Show Profile
I have Norton Antivirus and their Firewall. Automatic update. Went to their securityresponse site, did the recommended disable restore, updated definitions, restarted in safemode, scanned, no virusi detected. two questions. 1) When system restore is enabled, after all the above, will it start new from that enable time? Scans done before the above had not detected a virus but if there had been one, would the restore then bring it into the system?
Thanks for your earlier response David.

XP,Pentium4,80GHD,56KModem
Go to Top of Page

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2004 :  20:15:24  Show Profile
Yes. If you keep the System Restore enabled during a virus scan, the scanner will not, as far as I know, be able to delete/eradicate a virus in the Restore folder. A virus can reinfect your system after the scan.

If you first disable System Restore, the scanner WILL be able to eradicate a virus in the Restore folder.

...it might be better to post in another forum. Maybe the WINDOWS forum would be more appropriate. It's just that not too many people will see the conversation in the PRACTICE forum. They wouldn't expect anything useful (as this is) to be here...My $0.02

David
No animals were injured in the production of this e-mail... Win XP-Home Athlon 512MB 2-Way Satellite

Edited by - D.Oliver on 07/24/2004 21:04:55
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000