can't open jpg. and winmail.dat
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Linda
Supporting Member

105 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  22:20:51  Show Profile
I have a friend who can't open my jpg pictures and I can't open another friend's pictures on winmail.dat Does anyone know how we can do this?

Linda
WinXP Home 2002, 256 MB Slowdial

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  22:58:39  Show Profile
Sounds like your friend needs to set a default file association to open .jpg/.jpeg files.

I'm sorry, but what is winmail.dat?

David
No animals were injured in the production of this e-mail... Win XP-Home Athlon 512MB 2-Way Satellite
Go to Top of Page

Terry
Operating Member

383 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  19:05:12  Show Profile  Visit Terry's Homepage
Hi Linda,
winmail.dat is a file format that belongs to MS Outlook. Outlook has a feature that allows other Outlook users to view e-mail attachments exactly the way the sender wrote them (similar to the way .pdf files always look the same as the author wrote them, and are only viewable in Adobe Reader).
Have your friend set his/her outgoing mail options to "Plain Text" by opening Outlook, and on the menu bar, select "Tools", "Options", "Mail Format". At the top of the dialog box, in the "Compose in this Message Format:" box, select "Plain Text". This should allow non-Outlook users to view his/her attachments.
Here is a web page that explains all this better than I can:
Can't read winmail.dat files

As to his/her inability to view your .jpg files, I agree with David, if your friend's file associations are not set properly, his/her computer won't know what application to use to open the files, but if that isn't it, you'll have to give us some more information. How are you sending them? I know you use AOL. Are you attaching them to your e-mail message, or are you e-mailing the photos from your image editing program? If so, what editing program are you using?

Happy Computing
Terry

Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are absolutely right!
Win XP Pro, 512mb RAM, 500mhz Intel P3, 128kbps cable access

Edited by - Terry on 09/02/2004 20:54:36
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1495 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  23:33:28  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage
Excelent input Terry. Eight or ten years ago an IT guy told us never to use "Rich Text" format for your email, and never to compose your messages in "Word", bcause of the danger that your recipient's computer may not be capable of reading the "Microsoft Way" email. I always remembered this advice, but have never thought to pass the info on to others. This could solve a large part of the email incompatibility problems.

Now if we could only get everyone off the incompatible ISPs like AOL, Juno, etc that make you use their specialized email sending and reading programs. A litmus test for ISPs (in my opinion) would be "Can I use Outlook Express and Internet Explorer, or other Internet programs of my choosing, or do I have to use your proprietary programs?" If the answer is "Proprietary", then hang up, and look for another provider.

Mick

Are we not drawn onward, we few, drawn onward to new era?
Go to Top of Page

Linda
Supporting Member

105 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2004 :  21:15:38  Show Profile
Terry,
I am attaching them directly to my e-mail from "my pictures". The very first attachment I received was from her and it was jpg. Her name is Pegi and I thought it was something she named after herself. I don't know why she can't receive them now. I think she did change servers, if that has anything to do with it.

Linda
WinXP Home 2002, 256 MB Slowdial
Go to Top of Page

Terry
Operating Member

383 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  05:24:05  Show Profile  Visit Terry's Homepage
Hi Linda,
Now I agree with David, it sounds like her file associations have gotten changed. Ask her to try opening the attachments by right clicking them and selecting "Open With" from the menu. Then left click the picture viewing program she uses.

Your other friend who is sending you winmail.dat files needs to change her mail format to "Plain Text" as I described in my previous post.

Let us know if this works. Good Luck!

Happy Computing
Terry

You don't have to be a geek to help others solve their computing problems!
Win XP Pro, 512mb RAM, 500mhz Intel P3, 128kbps cable access

Edited by - Terry on 09/04/2004 05:25:52
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000