Printer Offline
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Linda
Supporting Member

105 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  13:52:17  Show Profile
I unhooked my printer which was working great, to hook my grandson's iPod and when I hooked it back up it said 'printer offline'. I've shut everything down and unplugged and plugged back and it says it's ready and sending to the printer and then instead of printing it says 'printer offline'

Linda
WinXP Home 2002, 256 MB Slowdial

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  20:35:00  Show Profile
I think I need some info, Linda.

Is your printer connected by USB cable? If so, you should be able to go to the "Printers and Faxes" area of the Control Panel and right-click on the printer and select "Use Printer Online." Some of these printers must first be powered off until you plug them in. Turning the power on allows the computer to "see" it. If your printer doesn't have a power switch, unplug the printer from the wall until after plugging in the USB cable to both the printer and the computer.

If the printer is connected via parallel cable (usually 25-pin "D"-shaped), you must turn the computer off before plugging/unplugging the cable.

If this doesn't fix it, maybe the printer documentation can offer some answer.

Hope this helps.

David
The older I get, the better I used to be... Win XP-Home Athlon 512MB 2-Way Satellite
Go to Top of Page

Linda
Supporting Member

105 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  10:31:28  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Linda

I unhooked my printer which was working great, to hook my grandson's iPod and when I hooked it back up it said 'printer offline'. I've shut everything down and unplugged and plugged back and it says it's ready and sending to the printer and then instead of printing it says 'printer offline'

Linda

I do have a USB port. I did what you said and I even went through troubleshooting and at one point it said to try and change my cable. Do you thnk that might be it? Now it says it's ready and the printer even makes all the noises like it's going to print but doesn't.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  13:54:21  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage
Linda, have you perhaps installed SP-2 lately? There have been a few cases of Service Pack 2 disabling USB printers, and needing to have the drivers reinstalled. It may not be the problem, but it is easy to try, and not likely to hurt anything else.

Start-> Control Panel->Administrative Tools-> Computer Management

In the left pane, select Device manager, on the right, at the bottom, find and right-click on the item containing...."Host Controller"... and then click "update Driver".

The Update wizard will help you find the latest driver for your hardware.

Mick

Are we not drawn onward, we few, drawn onward to new era?
Go to Top of Page

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  22:16:16  Show Profile
Wow. Talk about controversy. The Microsoft knowledge base listed a possible reason for the "printer offline" problem as being caused by "the printer being turned off then back on." Sounds a little lame, but get this - they advocate "installing the latest Windows Service Pack" which just happens to be Service Pack 2.

Well, Linda. Seeing as you have dial-up, I would suggest you get a copy of the update from our library. If you have a CD-R or CD-RW disc, bring it to the next meeting and we can burn you a copy.

David
The older I get, the better I used to be...
XP-Hm(SP-2) Athlon .5GBRam 160GB Networked 2-Way Satellite
Go to Top of Page

Linda
Supporting Member

105 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  12:52:22  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by D.Oliver

Wow. Talk about controversy. The Microsoft knowledge base listed a possible reason for the "printer offline" problem as being caused by "the printer being turned off then back on." Sounds a little lame, but get this - they advocate "installing the latest Windows Service Pack" which just happens to be Service Pack 2.

Well, Linda. Seeing as you have dial-up, I would suggest you get a copy of the update from our library. If you have a CD-R or CD-RW disc, bring it to the next meeting and we can burn you a copy.

David

Gee, guys,you're confusing me. But, then again, that doesn't take much. I do have the copy of sp2 I got at the Christmas party but hadn't installed it yet.Do I turn the printer off to install sp2? Remember, all I did was unhook the printer and hook it back up. It was installed on December 26, '04 and had worked fine for a month.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  20:48:44  Show Profile
Well. Use your best judgement, but remember that I can't think of anyone yet that has had a bad experience with it. If anyone has, please speak now or forever hold your peace.

You may want to read How Do I Know if My Computer Is Ready to Install SP2?
first at the Microsoft site. This one page alone will perhaps answer many of your questions about SP2.

The above link has provisions to show you if your system is ready for SP2 - or not. A few moments here may be well worth it.

David
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000