Saving Office 2003 files in XML format
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mary
Operating Member

368 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  07:12:35  Show Profile
From what I have read, files saved in .xml format save the data separately from the application form (spreadsheet, database, word processing document) and then it can be opened in any of these forms. Has anyone tried this?

WinXP,933MHz

Sarah

204 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  07:27:30  Show Profile
I have not personally used Office 2003's "save as xml" options. I have read that, while the option does create an xml document, the code is of a "spectacularly hideous form, even for simple documents" <snip> "gnarly and impenetrable to the human eye". As this is my experience with the html that Word and other Office apps produce, I've not tried to use them for xml.

There are other programs that will convert/create xml. On the other hand, if Word 2003 is what a person has, it's worth a try. If you haven't seen it already, you might take a look at this article.

We've used a couple of xml documents in web applications, but I'm WAY FAR from an expert about it. If you're working on a specific project, please let us know...new waters can be fun!

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Mary
Operating Member

368 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2005 :  23:33:05  Show Profile
I'm wanting to set up a membership database for church and use the info for other forms like attendance, producing a directory, labels, etc and I thought this sounded like a good way to do it.

Also, am trying to finish my review of Office 2003 and this and tags seem to be a big part of it.

WinXP,933MHz
Go to Top of Page

Mary
Operating Member

368 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2005 :  23:37:16  Show Profile
I'd also like to be able to read the information into the microphone and have it typed using voice recognition because it's so slow trying to read and type, read and type, read and type....

WinXP,933MHz
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000