New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joyce
Supporting Member

178 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  09:12:41  Show Profile
Windows XP dsl Juno

I'm wanting to know if I have everything checked that I need to in my Avast settings. I've never done anything about how it, they are just as they were when I installed Avast.

The settings checked are: Test memory during application start-up --Enable skins for Simple User Interface -- Show Explorer Extension icon.

Joyce

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  23:07:36  Show Profile
Joyce,

Everything should be fine. All systems should already be running. To check, do this: Hover your mouse pointer over the Avast! ball in the system tray. A "tool tip" should appear. If you are on the internet while you do this, the tool tip should say should read "avast! On-Access Scanner: 7 provider(s) total, 7 running." If you aren't on the internet when you do this, it will show only "6 running."

You can make a lot of adjustments to the program's settings without messing it up (read the help files FIRST), so you could experiment with some settings (skins, depth of scan, etc.), but I wouldn't recommend the casual user messing with the Proxy Server settings found in the "Update (Basic)" section. Some of the skins that are availale are really nice.

NOTE: The latest version of Avast! is 4.6, but Avast! always sends and installs the latest version for you.

David
old, slow, and confused - but at least I'm inconsistent!
XP-Hm(SP-2) Athlon .5GBRam 160GB Networked 2-Way Satellite
Go to Top of Page

joyce
Supporting Member

178 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  09:04:29  Show Profile
David, I'm on the internet and my tool tip says "7 providers...6 running". Not understanding what that all means, I don't know what more I can do to make it say "7 running".

With regard to settings, ignorant as I am about these things, I'm not too adventurous in trying a lot of new things -- if it works I'm satisfied til I learn more!

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

joyce
Supporting Member

178 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  14:25:05  Show Profile
While ON the internet, my tool tip continues to say only "6 running". I understood you to say that is what it will say if NOT on the internet, and if ON the internet it should say "7 running".
Is something missing I should know about and correct

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

rtargo20
Participating Member

8 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  18:24:13  Show Profile
Joyce, I see the same thing you do "6 running" while connected to the internet and also wonder if I've covered all bases. Bob
Go to Top of Page

Terry
Operating Member

383 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  06:20:48  Show Profile  Visit Terry's Homepage
Hi Joyce,

I also use Avast with the default settings, and my tool tip also shows "7 provider(s) total, 6 running". I have never had it fail to catch a virus when one arrived in an e-mail. I believe you are pretty safe with yours set the way it is.

There must be something different with David's Internet connection that causes his to show "7 running". I'm just guessing, but I have cable Internet access and you have dsl, both of which are "always on", even when we close the browser. David lives out in the country where cable and dsl are not available. I don't know what type of connection Bob has, but I think this must have something to do with the difference.

I looked in the help files and found the following descriptions of eight "providers". I assume the extra one that none of us seem to have is included only in the pay version of Avast.

Hope this helps.
Terry

avast! resident protection is based on so-called resident providers - special modules protecting various parts of your computer, e.g. file system or e-mail.

Standard Shield. It checks the applications being run and documents being opened. It will not allow an infected application to start or an infected document to be opened, thus possibly protecting you from activating/spreading a virus.

Outlook/Exchange. It checks incoming and outgoing e-mail messages processed by MS Outlook client (it is part of the MS Office package - it is not the same as the simpler Outlook Express!) or MS Exchange. It will refuse to accept or send a message containing a viral code.

Internet Mail. It checks incoming and outgoing e-mail messages processed by clients other than MS Outlook or Exchange, such as Outlook Express, Eudora etc. Again, it will refuse to accept or send a message containing a viral code.

Script blocking. It checks scripts contained in the web pages you look at, thus avoiding infection due to potential bugs in your web browser.

Instant Messaging. It checks the files downloaded by common communication programs, such as ICQ or MSN Messenger.

P2P Shield. It checks the files downloaded by common P2P (file sharing) programs, such as Kazaa and others.

Network Shield. It protects the computer from the attacks of Internet worms (e.g. Blaster, Sasser, etc.)

Web Shield. It protects the computer from viruses during the common work with Internet (browsing, downloading files, etc.). It can also block access to specific web pages.

Edited by - Terry on 11/23/2006 06:36:47
Go to Top of Page

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2006 :  20:40:14  Show Profile
Bob. Sorry for the time lag in my post - I was out of town for the holidays.

The "provider" that may or may not be running on your machine could be either the P2P (Peer-To-Peer) or the Outlook provider. I have Outlook open now as I am typing this and I show 7 providers running when I hover my mouse over the Avast! ball. I am not using Peer-to-Peer so that shouldn't have any effect on the number of providers running.

Terry - We just got back from Nashville, TN and it surely is great to get back to the pasture...

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Go to Top of Page

joyce
Supporting Member

178 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  13:00:50  Show Profile
David, I don't use Outlook. Are you saying that this is probably why I show only 6 running?

Joyce
SBC JUNO DSL, WINDOWS XP
Go to Top of Page

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  21:41:11  Show Profile
Yes.

Avast! has a 'provider' that automatically attaches to Microsoft Outlook to scan all messages actively (as they arrive and are sent). If you don't use Outlook the provider won't activate.

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Go to Top of Page

rtargo20
Participating Member

8 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  18:42:34  Show Profile
David and Joyce, I don't use Outlook either, so guess that's why we only see "6" running. Bob
Go to Top of Page

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  21:23:11  Show Profile
I suppose the right thing to do would be email the author of Avast! and mention just how many folks use either Outlook Express and/or Thunderbird (others?) and see if they work on adding support for the other popular email clients.

At any rate, Avast! constantly monitors file access and memory usage to halt virus activity. I have never (knock on wood) had a virus hit my system using Avast! and have used it exclusively since 1999.

Hope everyone else has this same exemplary experience.

David

Edited by - D.Oliver on 11/30/2006 21:30:12
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000