Windows Movie Maker to DVD
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

donna
Working Member

25 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  14:32:29  Show Profile
I thought I would explore Windows Movie Maker to edit some video clips. I like the software program, but I don't think it can burn the finished product to a DVD. That seems sort of strange. Can WMM only write to a CD? And doesn't that significantly limit the available video recording space? And, further, how would one view a video on a CD? Does a DVD player accept a video CD? The answers may be obvious, but I need them.

Win XP Home SP-2
1.70GHz Intel Pentium M 1GB RAM
Hi-Spd Cable Connection

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  22:36:57  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage
Donna, I have just finished capturing a tv program, and editing it with WIndows Movie Maker, (cutting out the comercials), and saving it to a DVD. But I saved it in MPEG and WMV formats. I dont know what the native format for a DVD player is, because I dont have a DVD player. I was at a brother-in-law's house last year, and his DVD player recognized folders of music (mp3) and slideshows (JPEG) on a CD, and I think, WMV files. But my impression is that this sort of feature is not available on all DVD players. According to my video capture program, there are also VCD formats (which can put an hour of video on a CD) and SVDC which is closer to DVD quality. Here is the readme file with media/format info from my video capture device.
============================================
Digital Video Compression Formats

*This document is created as a general guide for the following products:

-Instant DVD 2.0

-Instant DVD + DV

-Instant TV Deluxe

-DVD Xpress

Please refer the documentation and software included in your package. Your product may or may not include all the bundled software mentioned below but rest assured that each product includes capabilities to capture video, edit video and produce VCD, SVCD and DVD movies.

What is your project Goal?

Before selecting a Video compression format for recording your video think about your final goal for the captured video? If you wish to capture, edit and record back to videotape (Instant DVD 2.0 or Instant DVD + DV only) you may choose a different format than if you want to put an hour of video on a CD-ROM.

Choosing a video format that matches your output goal will save you time and assure the best video quality.

Read the description of each video capture format to be sure that it not only matches your output goal, but also matches your playback goal. Some formats will only playback on a Windows PC and others will play back in home DVD players.

My Goal is: Video format choice:

-Copy an hour of video on to a CD-R/RW disk VCD (Video CD format/MPEG-1)

-Capture video for video e-mail or publish on Internet VCD (MPEG-1)

-Copy 30-40 minutes of Better quality video to CD SVCD(Super Video CD)

-Copy DVD on CD (20 minutes) play back on PC DVD (MPEG-2)

-Capture, edit and record back to videotape DVD (MPEG-2)

-Capture and copy DVD quality movie to DVD disk DVD (MPEG-2)

Video Capture/Compression formats
MPEG-1 file for VCD

A VCD is simply a video format of a movie copied on a CD-ROM. The exciting thing about this format is that it can be read by CD-ROMs, VCD players, or even DVD players.

The format used on a VCD is MPEG-1. When you want to create a VCD file you need to create a special WhiteBook standard MPEG-1 file that has very technical specifications. Fortunately, creating such a file is easy with CapWiz, DVD Movie Factory and VideoStudio. Just Select VCD and you will automatically capture video at 352 x 240 (NTSC) or 352 x 288 (PAL) at the correct bit rate for VCD files. In Video Studio at the “Share” step, all you need to do is select Make Disk and select VCD and the video is burned to a CD in VCD format.

You can capture in VCD/MPEG-1 format to create a VCD CD that will play in PC’s and many home DVD players, or you can simply copy the MPEG-1 file to a CD and the file can be played back on any Windows PC with a CD-ROM drive.

Creating a VCD Movie disk

Instant DVD and Instant DVD + DV include both Video Studio and DVD Movie factory. These applications can capture video directly from Instant DVD in the VCD format and include Disk Authoring and burning capabilities. You can also capture video in CapWiz and then import into DVD Movie Factory to burn the disk. If you purchased DVD Xpress you can capture, edit and burn a disk all from the Video Studio 7 SE DVD application.

Video CD Specs:

Video format: MPEG-1

Video resolution: 352 x 240 NTSC / 352 x 288 PAL

Frame rate: 30 frames per second (NTSC) / 25 frames per second (PAL)

Bit Rate: 1.15 mb/sec.

Amount of video on CD: 70 minutes

Playback Options for VCD:

-Windows based PC’s with CD-ROM drive

-Many late model home DVD players

Super VCD (SVCD)

SVCD is an enhancement to VCD developed by a Chinese government-backed committee of manufacturers and researchers to create lower DVD player and disc prices in China. SVCD is actually MPEG-2 video but recorded at a lower bit rate and resolution than full broadcast resolution DVD.

SVCD Specs:

Video format: MPEG-2

Video resolution: 480 x 480 NTSC / 480 x 576 PAL

Bit Rate: 2.4 mb/sec.

Amount of video on CD: 35-40 minutes

Playback option for SVCD:

-Windows based PC’s with CD-ROM drive and MPEG-2 playback codec (PowerDVD)

-Some late model DVD players can playback SVCD disk – check your player for compatibility.

MPEG-2 file for DVD

The most exciting recent development in video compression standards is MPEG-2, which is used on DVDs, satellite television, digital cable TV and HDTV. MPEG-2 yields highly compressed files of extremely high quality. There are a couple things you should consider about this format.

First of all, MPEG-2 files for DVD are captured at full broadcast resolution. NTSC MPEG-2 (DVD) is 720x480 pixels, while PAL MPEG-2 (DVD) is 720x576 pixels. This fairly large resolution implies that the MPEG-2 file size is bigger than MPEG-1’s. A two hour movie will use up about 4 GB of hard drive space.

With that in mind, MPEG-2 is an excellent choice for any type of movie. Your new video capture hardware allows you to capture directly from your camcorder to the MPEG-2 format, then allows you to perform frame-accurate editing, and create a final movie in the same format. You can then use a DVD authoring tool to create a DVD that can be played directly on a home DVD player or the DVD-ROM on your PC.

The MPEG-2 standard allows for bit rates from 2 mb/sec. up to 15 mb/sec. Since Instant DVD can connect to a USB 1.1 port (12 mb/sec. Max) or USB 2.0 port (480 MB/sec.) we can achieve video bit rates of up to 15 mb/sec. very reliably. If your goal is to capture video for burning to DVD disk, don’t capture at a rate higher than 9 Mb/sec. because DVD Players cannot bit rates higher than this. Also, if your goal is to get the most video on a DVD disk, you will want to select 4 or 5 MB/sec. using a variable bit rate.

Keep in mind that most Hollywood DVD’s are produced at 4.5 mb/sec. this allows up to 133 minutes of audio and video on a DVD disk. With the ability to capture MPEG-2 and create DVD movies at 4 or 5 mb/sec. with variable bit rate you can produce video with the same high quality achieved on Hollywood DVD movies.

MPEG-2 Specs:

Video format: MPEG-2

Video resolution: 720 x 480 NTSC / 720 x 576 PAL

Bit Rate: 2 - 15 mb/sec. selectable

Amount of video on CD: 18-20 minutes

Amount of video on DVD: Approx. 133 minutes depending upon bit rate

Playback options for MPEG-2/DVD

-Windows based PC’s with CD-ROM drive and MPEG-2 playback codec (PowerDVD)

-Most home DVD players

DVD on CD

CD-R/RW disks created with DVD on CD, when authored with the included DVD Movie Factory you can select to have a software DVD player included on the disk. This means that the disk can be played back on any Windows based PC with a CD-ROM drive. When the disk is inserted the software DVD player will automatically load and the movie can be played. This is a great way to distribute your short home movie, business presentation or product demo. With the power of DVD authoring you can make the DVD on CD interactive with buttons and menus to guide the user through the presentation or movie.
================================================
Beyond this, I am pretty new at this stuff, good luck.

Mick

In technology, procrastination is the way to maximum efficiency -- longer it takes you to jump in, the softer the landing will be, because the "early adopter folks" will have a left pile of bodies to land on.

Go to Top of Page

donna
Working Member

25 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  23:50:40  Show Profile
Just an update: I am still working on this and learning a lot along the way. Thanks.
Donna

Win XP Home SP-2
1.70GHz Intel Pentium M 1GB RAM
Hi-Spd Cable Connection
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000