Replacing selected text
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mary
Operating Member

368 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  20:05:11  Show Profile
I thought I used to be able to select or highlight some text in MS Word and then type to replace that selected text. Since I installed Office 2003, it doesn't happen that way and have to delete the undesired text (extra step). I haven't found a way to change it. Am I confused for what? Be careful how you answer that!

Mary

WinXP,933MHz

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  21:30:44  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Mary

I thought I used to be able to select or highlight some text in MS Word and then type to replace that selected text. Since I installed Office 2003, it doesn't happen that way and have to delete the undesired text (extra step). I haven't found a way to change it. Am I confused for what? Be careful how you answer that!

Mary

WinXP,933MHz

Working from memory here, dont have time to test it, but when you hit the "insert" key, I think it toggles the mode for overtype or insert, does that effect the response to select and start typing?
Mick

Mick

In technology, procrastination is the way to maximum efficiency -- longer it takes you to jump in, the softer the landing will be, because the "early adopter folks" will have a left pile of bodies to land on.

Go to Top of Page

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  22:24:57  Show Profile
Ok, Mary ... So I cheated and looked in WORD.

Also open WORD, select TOOLS>OPTIONS, and select the EDIT tab.
In the "Editing Options" section, put a check in the "Typing replaces selection" box and remove any check from the "Overtype mode" box.

Hope this helps.

David
old, slow, and confused - but at least I'm inconsistent!
XP-Hm(SP-2) Athlon .5GBRam 160GB Networked 2-Way Satellite

Edited by - D.Oliver on 11/21/2005 22:25:36
Go to Top of Page

Mary
Operating Member

368 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  22:00:09  Show Profile
YES!!!!! I tried both ways. The toggle does change from insert to overtype, but doesn't replace the selected text. In Word, I went to Tools--Options--Edit tab and checked the box beside Typing replaces selection. Now when I select text and type, the selected text is replaced. Thank you so much, guys.

Mary

WinXP,933MHz
Go to Top of Page

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  22:49:19  Show Profile
Glad it helped, Mary. Thanks for the confirmation post.

David
old, slow, and confused - but at least I'm inconsistent!
XP-Hm(SP-2) Athlon .5GBRam 160GB Networked 2-Way Satellite
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000