MS Word Opening page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pat Gav
Supporting Member

95 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  19:09:48  Show Profile
Hard to decide what to put down for topic. I am running MS Word 2002(Office XP). When I open Word to a new document the curser is at the top of the page. Page set up shows top margin as 1". If a type a few words and check print preview, the text is 1" down in the print preview, but does not show that in the original view. I have it set under "view" to "print layout". If I set the top margin to 1.1" the curser will drop down where it should be on the page. I know there is a work around, but know that something must be causing it to open that way. Any ideas?

Pat
Inquiring minds want to know...Wn XP Home...slow dial-up

Terry
Operating Member

383 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  20:13:55  Show Profile  Visit Terry's Homepage
Hi Pat,
Have you tried hovering your mouse pointer over the page break lines until you see the 2 boxes and double arrows? In Word 2003, when you hold your pointer still in this position, a tool tip will appear with the option to hide/show white space.
Let us know.

Happy Computing
Terry

It has become apallingly obvious that our
technology has exceeded our humanity--Albert Einstein

Win XP Pro, 512mb RAM, 500mhz Intel P3, 3mbps cable access
Go to Top of Page

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  21:57:37  Show Profile
After opening WORD, select File>New form the menu (NOT from the OPEN icon) and select a "blank document" from the "General" tab and select the "template" radio button at the bottom of the dialog box. Open this.

When you have the new template open, set the View to "Print view" and make any other settings you wish. Save this as a "template" and you will notice an existing file named "normal.dot". This is the default template that loads each time you start WORD. If you save your new template you just created as Normal.dot, it will open with your new defaults each time you start WORD.

Hope this helps.

David
old, slow, and confused - but at least I'm inconsistent!
XP-Hm(SP-2) Athlon .5GBRam 160GB Networked 2-Way Satellite

Edited by - D.Oliver on 12/20/2005 21:59:42
Go to Top of Page

Pat Gav
Supporting Member

95 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  17:15:54  Show Profile
Thank you both of you. The mouse hover and show white space worked. Why didn't I know that??? I always wanted to know how to set up a new template. I alway feel a day is a success if I learn something. I have learned two things.

Merry Christmas to All.

Pat
Inquiring minds want to know...Wn XP Home...slow dial-up
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000