Digital Imaging
 Analog/H8 to DVD software
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Margaret

66 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  15:05:52  Show Profile
Hi What is the best soft wear to buy to transfer old analog, Hi 8 and digitl 8 to a DVD. I have searched quite a bit an it is oonfusing. I brought Roxio Media Easy Creator 8 but have not opened it. Some of the internet site says that is has flaws I don't know. Wht about ShowBiz-DVD Margaret

Margaret Schatz

tools
Supporting Member

67 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  13:50:52  Show Profile
Margaret,
You have asked a question that requires a complex answer.
1. Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 is a good program for authoring CD's and DVD's where you are transferring music, data or movies directly to CD's and DVD's, but is not the best program to do what you are wanting to do.
2. In order to transfer film images to DVD, you first have to convert the analog information to digital form. This first step is difficult, in that you have to rephotograph the film images with a digital movie camera or an equivalent means. Depending upon how much detail you want to capture and whether there is a sound track to deal with, whether you want to add voice-over commentary, titles, scene changes and editing, etc. There is also the problem of dust on the film, scratches, etc. Some of these problems can be edited out by using a movie editing program such as Windows Movie Maker (A basic movie editor that comes with Windows XP: See the Start Menu >All Programs >Acessories >Windows Movie Maker), Adobe Premier Elements, Pinnacle Studio, or perhaps the ShowBiz-DVD program you mentioned. (I am not familiar with the usage of the ShowBiz-DVD program.)
3. Many people wanting to save their memories from film take them to a business that specializes in this process, but in my opinion it is expensive. The do-it-yourself process can be expensive too if you want good quality results because of equipment purchases and the learning curve time to master new programs and processes.
4. In order to give you further advise regarding your question, I need more infromation from you concerning the programs and equipment you have now and what your intentions are concerning editing your film. (i.e. Do you have a digital movie camera, projector and screen for copying your movie at home? Do you have Premier Elements, Pinnacle Studio or ShowBiz-DVD, do you want to do editing, voice over, etc.)
Thanks,
Harold

tools
Windows XP Pro, Pentium 4, 2.4 GH, 1 Gig RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive, DVD-RW & CD-RW, SBC DSL.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah

204 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  10:18:57  Show Profile
Hi Margaret,

I am not well-versed in anything video yet, BUT a coworker of mine is. He says he is digitzing his 8mm home movies by inserting the tape in a movie camera that has a firewire connection. He connects the camera to the computer with the firewire, then plays the movie from the camera to download it to his computer. He uses Adobe Premier to edit the movies, if he wants to edit them. He transfers both video and audio. There's not hurrying the process: if the movie is two hours long, it takes two hours to transfer it to the computer. Once it is transferred to his computer, he can use the program of his choice (Roxio, Nero, etc.) to burn it to DVD.

You might be able to borrow or rent a camera, if you don't currently have one.

Hope this gives you another angle to pursue,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000