Down loads/adobe/others
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

crsvas
Participating Member

13 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  10:07:49  Show Profile
I have a information bar comes up on down loads and says might harm the acomputer ,look under the browser.
how do I get rid of the information bar

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  17:03:53  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage
Not sure I understand what you are asking for, but I will give it a try.

That warning sounds typical, because windows, at least recently, has tried to do a better job of keeping us out of trouble. But there is no complete list of dangerous, maliscious programs, so windows just warns about any file type that may be dangerous. You are then responsible for making sure you went to a reputable web site, and that file is really what you want. You really dont want to get rid of that warning. If you can give us more info, maybe? What version of windows? Internet Explorer? verbatim quote of all the text on the warning?

Mick

-----------
'Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again.'
—André Gide

or

'No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why.' - Mignon McLaughlin
Go to Top of Page

Mary
Operating Member

368 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  19:15:41  Show Profile
I have the same information bar open any time I download any file from the web. It may in the security settings, or it may be because I have the SBC Yahoo! Online Protection. That one doesn't bother me nearly as much as the message that pops up and asks if I want to allow the Internet to access my clipboard every time I right click and "Copy" something online.

WinXP,933MHz
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  18:53:40  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Mary

...doesn't bother me nearly as much as the message that pops up and asks if I want to allow the Internet to access my clipboard every time I right click and "Copy" something online.

Probably because you have (by default) asked it to warn you. Not sure about IE7, but on 6 there are choices like this.

If you want to allow cut and paste or drag and drop, with out a prompt, (I dont know any significant risks here) just click in tools, Internet options, security, select the "Internet" globe icon, and "custom level", then pick "enable" (rather than "prompt")

Mick

-----------
'Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again.'
—André Gide

or

'No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why.' - Mignon McLaughlin
Go to Top of Page

Mary
Operating Member

368 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  21:44:28  Show Profile
Mick, that thought made really good sense but when I looked the drag and drop or copy and paste was set on Enable. If you think of anything else, please post. Thanks for trying.

WinXP,933MHz
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  18:49:57  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage
Wow Mary, I thought that would be it. I have no idea what else it might be. Firewall?

Oh, wait. Did you check the Copy/Paste settings on all zones? maybe you are copying from a page in your trusted zone, or restricted zone. (just guessing here)

Mick

-----------
—André Gide

or

Go to Top of Page

Mary
Operating Member

368 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  19:06:21  Show Profile
I checked the settings in all zones and only the Restricted Zone has Prompt checked rather than Enable Drag and Drop or Copy and Paste. I looked at the restricted list and I don't recognize any of them as places I go. A good thought tho.

My Windows firewall is turned off because I have a built-in firewall in my SBC DSL modem/router.

Thanks,
Mary

WinXP,933MHz
Go to Top of Page

crsvas
Participating Member

13 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  10:53:26  Show Profile
Thanks I have it on the computer now---disables firewall and anti-virus
clicked off the warning and let it down load. MUCH thanks-- see you at the picnic satuday.-- charlie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000