Cannot Play CD From Link
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joyce
Supporting Member

178 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  16:11:16  Show Profile
In trying to play a CD from a link in an article in a news publication, it wouldn't open; and it told me that if it didn't to "click here" to get an "external" (I think) media player.

When I did this I got the message of an error and when I asked for more information I got the message copied below.

Here are the instructions I was given: "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the Player encountered a network error. You might encounter this error message for one of the following reasons:

The server is not available (for example, the server is busy or not online). Try again later.
You are not connected to the local area network (LAN) or to the Internet. Connect to the network or Internet, and then try again.
The proxy server settings for the Player are not configured properly. Verify that your proxy settings are correct, and then try again.
To verify your proxy server settings
On the Tools menu, click Options, click the Network tab, and then verify your settings in the Streaming proxy settings area.
Notes

If you do not know what your proxy server settings should be, on the Network tab, select a protocol, click Configure, and then select Autodetect proxy settings or Use proxy settings of the Web browser (available for HTTP protocol only)."

I went to my "connections" and see that my LAN settings have two boxes, both unchecked, which read "Automatically detect settings" and "Use automatic configuration". Should one of these be checked in following one of the options in the instructions? Or is there something else you would suggest?

Joyce
SBC JUNO DSL, WINDOWS XP

Mary
Operating Member

368 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  20:43:59  Show Profile
I don't know much at all about "streaming" audio or video except that I think it's "live". I do know that you don't have a Local Area Network (LAN) and that nothing there needs to be filled in. Were you connected to the Internet when you were trying to play the CD or were you looking at your emails off-line?

Proxy server settings is something else I know almost nothing about, but Mick or David would probably have some input.

Mary

WinXP,933MHz
Go to Top of Page

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  22:12:45  Show Profile
Hi Joyce,

I do know that you should not have to change anything concerning your "proxy" settings to listen to the "CD" via the web link.

However, if the link is on one of the many news sites that require you to be a "paying member" to get this depth of coverage, you may be out of luck. To listen to this content you may have to register and also pay a membership fee. I know this is the case with CNN.

Check the web site closely to verify that you do not have to have a subscription to this "CD" content.

Keep us advised.

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

XP-Hm(SP-2) Athlon .5GBRam 160GB Networked 2-Way Satellite
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000