streaming media
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ozengr
Operating Member

214 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  16:40:45  Show Profile
what are the minimum hardware rqmts for effective streaming media -- the downloading does not keep up with what i am trying to watch.

oz, xp home

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  16:35:25  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage
Ozzy, I think it depends on the media (music or video). Then the bandwidth of the connection is usually more limiting than the general PC hardware. Can you start the stream, then click pause to let the download get ahead of things? Maybe take a break, check the mail etc?

Mick

-----------
'Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again.'
—André Gide

or

'No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why.' - Mignon McLaughlin
Go to Top of Page

ozengr
Operating Member

214 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  10:23:48  Show Profile
no thanks, mick...........i don't care for the pause in music or while taking a university course. we don't have this problem at the ozark sen ctr computer lab..........only at home computers.

oz
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  16:22:53  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage
Did you find where the slowdown is? If you are on dialup, that is the likely problem. Another possibility, older PC hardware might not do too well, but I checked with an older computer, and a 500MHz PIII runs the videos I tested pretty well, without jerks.

Assuming it is download speed--Many of the on-line playing tools, most flash players, have a Pause button. If you click the pause button, then do something else for a while, the download will continue, and but the computer does not play. It is "buffering", just loading and saving, getting ready to play. After the download has had a chance to load (you will have to experiment to see how much time to allow) then, come back, and click "Play" to unpause. This works pretty well on my mother-in-law's dialup service.

If you have some other computer work to do, that is not internet intensive, maybe playing solitare, composing a letter, balancing a checkbook... these can all be used as a time-killer to wait for the video to load.

If this does not work, please let us know.

Mick

-----------
'Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again.'
—André Gide

or

'No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why.' - Mignon McLaughlin
Go to Top of Page

ozengr
Operating Member

214 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  21:22:01  Show Profile
thanks mick.............oz
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000