Norton Personal Firewall
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alice
Working Member

33 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  20:39:27  Show Profile
My computer is telling me that the Norton Personal Firewall is expiring. My question is Do I need It? My computer use is simple and basic. I use the word processor, do a reasonal amount of internet research and do greeting cards. I have Norton Antivirus, Spyware Blaster with Mozilla Firefox, Spybot Search and Destroy, and AdAware se personal. I have blocked all items on both Mozilla and Spybot. Alice Windows XP

Terry
Operating Member

383 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2006 :  09:28:06  Show Profile  Visit Terry's Homepage
Hi Alice,

In today's world, if you use the Internet at all, you really should keep a firewall in place. However, for your modest usage, Windows built-in firewall is probably sufficient.

The biggest difference between Windows firewall and others is that Windows' only blocks incoming traffic while others block outgoing as well.

Even if you feel that you need to control anything on your computer from phoning home, you don't have to purchase another product, you could download and install a free version of Zone Alarm. It works very well for me and numerous other ICON members. It is available at the following link: Free Zone Alarm

Whatever you decide, be sure to go to Windows "Security Center" and turn on the firewall you wish to use.

Hope this helps,
Terry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000