Thumbdrive Problem
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rhonda
Supporting Member

90 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2006 :  14:18:53  Show Profile
I have a problem with my Sandisk Cruzer 1 GB thumbdrive. I plugged it in to my tower ( as usual) and it never opened and made its files available. It has a orange light that lights up when plugged in. When(usually) it is ready to be ejected, the orange light goes off. Today it will not be cooperative.
The orange light is constantly on; however I am unable to access it.
Nothing is open from the drive and never was today.

When I click on the icon 'Safely Remove Hardware' and then I click on the only available link titled 'USB Mass Storage Device', it brings up another small box that is titled 'Stop a Hardware Device'.
It lists the San Disk U3 Cruzer Micro USB Device and then it lists again. It looks like this:

San Disk U3 Cruzer Micro USB Device - (K)
Generic volume - (L)
San Disk U3 Cruzer Micro USB Device

(usually only two lines are present when I am removing)

When I click on each one individully and then OK, it then gives this error:
The device 'Generic volume' cannot be stopped because a program is still accessing it.

One more tidbit of info. My thumbdrive is equipped with a U3 program that seems a little more sophisticated than some thumbdrives. Usually when I plug it in, it usually opens up a U3 box down in the right corner of the taskbar next to the safely remove hardware icon. Is anyone using this model?

I have tried to right click this drive under My Computer and clicked on EJECT. This does not work either!!
It actually tells me there is no disk in K and L.

Am I missing anything that can be done to shut the thumbdrive down other than yanking it out? I know I will risk losing data if I just pull it out.

Will restarting the computer do any good and be less risky?

Rhonda
XP Media Center Edition
Sony Vaio Desktop 1GB

Rhonda
Supporting Member

90 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2006 :  15:43:08  Show Profile
Additional info on my original problem from above:
I clicked (again)on the green arrow in the lower right hand task bar.
Under 'Safely Remove Hardware' Properties
It then brought up USB Mass Storage Device Properties
The blue words: Device Status state underneath that 'This device is working properly. If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start troubleshooter.
The Troubleshoot button is right below. When I click it, my Help and support center opens and says:
USB Troubleshooter
What problem are you having?

there is a button filled with a green dot and next to it is:
I am having a problem with a universal serial bus (USB) device.Then there is a 'Next' button
When I touch that, it tells me to open 'Device Manager'
It tells me to double click Universal Serial Bus controllersWhen I do that I see a really long list and one has a bright Yellow !overlapping USB Mass Storage Device.
When I double click on it, the Device Status says:
Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared for "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer. (Code 47)

To fix this problem, unplug this device from your computer and then plug it in again.

Should I do this?

Anyone ever had this happen?

Rhonda
XP Media Center Edition
Sony Vaio Desktop 1GB
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1492 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  16:06:29  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage
I have never used one of the U3 devices, waiting on someone else to discover the thorns... But if you rightclick the drive, properties, hardware, properties, policies...

There is (on my thumb drive) a setting that promises you can remove it safely? Have not tested it though.

Mick

-----------
'Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again.'
—André Gide

or

'No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why.' - Mignon McLaughlin
Go to Top of Page

Rhonda
Supporting Member

90 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  18:03:53  Show Profile
Thanks Mick,
I had tried right clicking on L and K and it kept stating that there was no disk inserted.

I wonder if my computer and thumb drive works different than yours and others'.
This is what I have when nothing is attached like a thumbdrive.
I have drives:
C local disk (harddrive)
D dvd recorder - cd drive
E dvd rom - cd drive
F memory stick - removable disk
G compact flash - removable disk
H picture card - removable disk
I SD/MMC ? - removable disk
J Removable disk - removable disk

Now, when I plug in this thumbdrive it adds on
K U3 System - CD drive
L Removable Disk - Removable disk

Is this common? Maybe this has to do with their new 'abilities' on this one.(like a mind of its own )This is my first thumbdrive and first computer so I am curious.

As for it freezing up and my solution;after staring at this bright orange light sticking out of my tower and fearing the worst- I took the plunge and took it out when my computer went in to standby and the light dimmed!

It appears to all be in tact as for the files on it. However, this incident serves as a constant reminder to me, that I need MANY types of backup. I had been doing weekly or biweekly burning of backup files on a disk and then using this to backup the specific items that I am always changing and do not want to lose!

Rhonda
XP Media Center Edition
Sony Vaio Desktop 1GB
Go to Top of Page

Rhonda
Supporting Member

90 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  22:50:26  Show Profile
This is an update on my infamous 'U3 Thumbdrive'

I have now disabled the U3 program that was on it. Upon more frequent errors and problems, I have downloaded the uninstaller from Sandisk.

While looking for a thumbdrive for my husband, I came across a lot of love/hate comments about this U3 software, especially at Amazon.com. I learned from reading the comments that one could turn off the U3 program. I stored the info in my mind for later use.(Needless to say, I did opt to get a regular drive for my husband!) This was a couple of weeks ago. As I began using my drive to download and install items on my husbands laptop, the freezing up of the drive AND my computer, became quite regular. Considering I wasn't using the U3 program software on the thumbdrive, I sought out a solution! (I bought this drive on sale with a rebate and it happened to have this feature, which I never had a need for.)

{By the way, I am certainly not ridiculing SanDisk at all. I am sure this technology software U3 program is and will be instrumental to people. I think I just happened to be on the trial phase of it - accidentally!!!}

I searched Sandisk for the U3 removal tool. I found, downloaded, and installed it and now my drive acts like a regular drive. However, I had a lot of mysterious behavior with files missing and disappearing over the time I have used it before.

Rhonda
XP Media Center Edition
Sony Vaio Desktop 1GB
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1492 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  01:16:17  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage
Rats, I was hoping you would provide a good report on U3. But the idea that it tries to run something when plugged in had been criticized several places. If you find that you do need some apps to move to other computers, I have used many of them at http://portableapps.com and they seem to work. Firefox, GIMP, OO, Not particularly automatic but you can carry them around with you, and dont need any installation...

Mick

-----------
'Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again.'
—André Gide

or

'No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why.' - Mignon McLaughlin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000