Defrag.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rtargo20
Participating Member

8 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  21:18:04  Show Profile
My OS is Windows XP SP2, Home Edition and I'd like to know where I could download a good, Free Defragment Software.
Seems the Windows Defrag. is not really doing the job and would also like something that would defrag. faster.
Thanks, Bob

Don't let yesterday take up to much of today - Will Rogers

Edited by - rtargo20 on 12/02/2006 22:44:00

Mary
Operating Member

368 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  22:18:40  Show Profile
What causes you to think Windows Defrag isn't doing a good job? If it's the length of time, consider that the larger the hard drive is, and the more fragmented the drive is, the longer it's going to take to rewrite the files. I remember when we had hard drives that were only a few hundred megabytes and it took only a few minutes, now with gigabytes (a gigabyte is 1024 megabytes), it takes mu-u-u-u-ch-ch longer.

WinXP,933MHz
Go to Top of Page

tools
Supporting Member

67 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  07:25:17  Show Profile
I don't know if the following link will be of assistance, but considering the fact that the defrag program in XP is a lite version of Diskeeper, the full version might be more to your liking...
http://www.pcnineoneone.com/reviews/sw/diskeeper7.html If you want a comparison of what are considered the three top defragmenters, go to
http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-Commercial-Disk-Defragmenters-Triad-33917.shtml

tools
Windows XP Pro, Pentium 4, 2.4 GH, 1 Gig RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive, DVD-RW & CD-RW, SBC DSL.
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  11:24:31  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage
My systems dont seem to need a lot of defragging, because I set up partitions on the hard drive, and keep most of the temporary files (temporary internet files, or any kind of cache file, for example) that are always coming and going on a separate partition just for them. This keeps the files on the "system" partition and the "data" partition from getting scattered by this necessary clutter.

When I do get around to it, about evey 6 months, Windows says the partitions dont need defragging, but I do it anyway, and I always run it twice. The second pass is much faster and always makes things look more "solid blue".

Edited by - Mick on 12/04/2006 11:27:12
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000