Tip of the week
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  22:44:09  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage
Do you ever run across a word on your web searches that you dont really know the meaning of? Or perhaps an acronym that you wish you know what it meant, or maybe a factoid that you think may be an urban legend?... How about a YouTube video with a tag about some short phrase?... Maybe a name of someone you would like a short bio on?

Would you like to have a button on your browser where you could just highlite the word/phrase of interest, press the button, and be magic-carpeted to the reference service of your choice? Well these little button are available on several sites of the internet, they are called "bookmarklets" or "favelets" but they may not have one for the look-up site that you want. They are very easy to create, if you have basic skills in programming javascript
Yeah, I know over my head too. But all is not lost.

This site:
http://www.netsquirrel.com/combatkit/
has detailed, step-by-step instructions on how to make your own little search buttons. I just went through their instructions, word for word, and created a little button. And now, where ever I am on the internet, I can select a word or two, click the button, (or click the button, and type in the words) and voilĂ , there I am, in Snopes.com checking out the rumor. (So, if you send me one of those stupid chain emails, without checking it out, I will likely let you hear about it.)
It takes more time to read and understand the instructions than it does to go through the steps (literally 30 seconds to go through the steps--a bit more to figure out what to do), but if you are willing to invest a little time, I think the payback will really make you glad you did.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000