Bolding Lines in an Excel Spreadsheet
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wordsmith
Working Member

25 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  15:32:09  Show Profile
Is it possible to make intermittent vertical and horizontal lines in an Excel spreadsheet heavier than the other lines, and if so, how? It is more important for me to bold an occasional vertical line, but I suppose the process for each is similar to the other. Thanks.

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  23:42:19  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage
Two basic approaches, which one to use depends on several things. If you are done with the rest of the adjustments to the sheet, you can just turn on the "drawing" toolbar, and draw a line, color, width, adjustable, also can make it dashed. All the controls to do that are on the toolbar, or, just right click the drawn line, and click properties, to change it. These lines do not have to be part of a cell border.

If you have a sheet you are going to use a lot, a possibly better way, that makes the line a part of the cell border design, you can select a column of cells that have an edge where you want the line, and then "format" cells. The "borders" tab lets you select from border styles and locations.

If it does not work for you, let us know.

Mick

-----------
'Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again.'
—André Gide

or

'No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why.' - Mignon McLaughlin
Go to Top of Page

Wordsmith
Working Member

25 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2006 :  14:38:54  Show Profile
Thank you, Mick! The Format-Cells-Borders method suits my purpose because I will be "massaging" this spreadsheet frequently. Now, is it possible to make these bolded lines even heavier? When I try to "Bold," it bolds the text, but all I want to do is bold the selected lines. This is something that I don't just have to do, but if there is a way, I would like to know what it is. Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

Wordsmith
Working Member

25 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2006 :  19:02:47  Show Profile
Well, as it turns out, it prints darker than it appears on the screen, so I'm a happy camper. ;-)
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2006 :  22:49:22  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage
Just in case you change your mind, when you are using the "Format-cells-borders" tool, there is a frame (on the right?) that allows you to select the weight of the lines used on the borders.

Mick

-----------
'Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again.'
—André Gide

or

'No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why.' - Mignon McLaughlin
Go to Top of Page

Mary
Operating Member

368 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  21:31:58  Show Profile
What I do, is insert an extra column, fill it with whatever color I'd like and then narrow the column (or row) down to the width I want. I do the narrowing by putting the pointer on the dividing line in the alphabet row until I get the two-headed arrow and dragging it to the left. I do the same for horizontal lines by dragging the divider line up.

Mary

WinXP,933MHz
Go to Top of Page

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  00:10:31  Show Profile
AS long as ou are narrowing the column, you could just select Format-Column-Column Width and type in a low number like 2 or so and press <Enter>.

...good ole Windows - a million ways to do the same thing...

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

XP-Hm(SP-2) Athlon 1GBRam 160GB Networked 2-Way Satellite
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000