Computer Lockes Up
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joyce
Supporting Member

178 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  13:54:06  Show Profile
Since I reset my Screen Saver from a high number to a lower number (15 min) yesterday, every time I leave my computer for 15 min and the screen goes black, when I move my mouse to retrieve it, I have been getting this message (this has happened 4 times now):

"This computer is in use and has been locked. Only YOUR05552C4542A/(reversed slash)Owner or administrator can unlock this computer.
user name: password: OK "

The only thing I can do is manually reboot. When I manually shut down the computer, this message appears:

"Other people are logged on to this computer. Shutting it down might cause them to lose data. Do you want to continue shutting down? Yes No "

Can you tell me what is going on and why this has only happened since I reset my Screen Saver, and mostly, what to do.

Also, before learning about problems with updating 6 to 7 with Microsoft, I already had done this. Could this be a problem from that?

Joyce
SBC JUNO DSL, WINDOWS XP

Sarah

204 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  14:34:42  Show Profile
Hi Joyce,

What an irritating problem! Now that I know you reset your Screen Saver, that gives me an idea for what's happening. Try this:

Click Start > Control Panel > Display. Click the Screen Saver tab, then click the "Power" button near the bottom of that screen. In the popup window that appears, click the "Advanced" tab. UNCHECK the box that says "Prompt for password when computer resumes from standby". Click Apply and OK until all the windows are closed.

Let us know if this fixes the problem.

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

joyce
Supporting Member

178 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  16:19:18  Show Profile
Sarah, that appears to have done the trick. I reset the Screen Saver to 5 min and waited it out. When it went black, Microsoft Windows XP started doing a slow dance all over the screen, and when I moved the mouse, I was back in business.

Thanks for helping me out. That was quite a nuisance and not good for my computer.

Joyce
SBC JUNO DSL, WINDOWS XP
Go to Top of Page

Sarah

204 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  17:20:01  Show Profile
Great, I'm glad it's fixed! Don't worry about damage to your computer, though, a few extra reboots won't hurt it.
See you,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000