Optical Disk
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ExVeep
Operating Member

289 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  13:45:10  Show Profile

I came across an "IBM Optical Disk Cartridge" with 1024 Bytes/Sector, Double Sided, 1309 MB/Disk.

Is there any use for these disks? How much do they cost? As to the drive itself: I assume they are removable, and are they still available and do they work with our current PC's?

Thanks for any info.

Charles a.k.a. Exveep

Tho' he might be more humble,
There's no Police like Holmes.

Desktop Win 98 SE.
Laptop Win XP home.
Desktop Win XP Professional.
Connect dsl sbc yahoo

ExVeep
Operating Member

289 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  23:09:33  Show Profile
Can't anyone help??????

Charles a.k.a. Exveep

Tho' he might be more humble,
There's no Police like Holmes.

Desktop Win 98 SE.
Laptop Win XP home.
Desktop Win XP Professional.
Connect dsl sbc yahoo
Go to Top of Page

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  23:38:55  Show Profile
Hi Charles.

I, myself, have never been exposed to one of these. Have you tried the IBM web site? Google?

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

XP-Hm(SP-2) Athlon 1GBRam 160GB Networked 2-Way Satellite
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1492 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  01:19:07  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage
I could swear I looked the forum over last night, and didnt see your question Charles. Wonder if there is some sort of glitch in the forum where updates are not always shown? Sarah? any chance that I am seeing a copy from the cache rather than an updated page?

To your question, Charles--I dont think there is much market for things like this, except for the nostalgia value. A DVD is about 3 times the storage, at very reasonable prices. And many times more reliable and compatible. When you upgrade windows to a new version, the first thing you have to do is go to all the hardware sites and get new drivers for all your connected hardware. And this thing is probably designed for Windows-NT or earlier, I would not bet on being able to find a driver for XP.

Mick

-----------
'Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again.'
—André Gide

or

'No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why.' - Mignon McLaughlin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000