Members' Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password Forgot your Password?

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ

All ICON Forums
 Help Forums
 Windows
 Lost "My Documents" under "My Computer"!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rhonda
Supporting Member

90 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  23:36:39  Show Profile
(Subject sounds kind of funny if you read it Literally!Huh?

I am using Windows XP Media Center Edition.

I have been working on this one for a while and I am curious if anyone has ever had this happen.

Up until recently, I used to see 'My Documents in TWO places.
Now I only have it in one.

When I am logged on to my account and I follow this path:
Start - My Computer (which I click to open)
In the main window there is a subcategory titled:
Files stored on this computer.
I know that it is standard to see
All Document folder's for each account holder and one extra titled Shared Documents. I currently have three account holders, so I have always seen four Document folders.)

Now, Rhonda's Documents are not listed there anymore.
There are now only three folders on my account, Shared and the other two account holders.
When I log on to their accounts, mine still does not show.

On the My Computer window, if I click the folders view in the toolbar, then I see my documents. It resembles this order:
Desktop
My Documents *which does contain all of my files*
My Computer
Local Disk
Drive D-J
Control Panel
Shared Documents
Spouse Documents
Child Documents
my network places

Is there a known way to copy my documents back in the Computer section?
I have tried all the basic methods like copy and paste and drag and drop, but it won't let me!

I am tempted to just create myself another account and use a thumb drive to copy over my Documents, but that would involve setting everything up again.

Besides that, now that my folder is not under the 'My computer', it will not let me copy or send the whole folder to anything. I will have to get creative by moving all of my subfolders into another folder to right click and 'Send to'
I used to be able to easily send My Document Folder to my thumbdrive for a quick backup. I do not have Easy creator and my data software is lacking ease and simplicity. I have no doubt that this 'loss' happened during the use of my thumbdrive.
I would love any advise anyone may have.

Rhonda
XP Media Center Edition
Sony Vaio Desktop 1GB

Edited by - Rhonda on 12/21/2006 23:37:52

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  01:06:37  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage
In WinXP, you can rightclick "Start", Properties, Start menu tab, customize, advanced. and find a few choices that control "My Documents" appearance. Then MS has a WinXP powertoy, called TweakUI, that has a few more minor tweaks. But I have not really played with Media Center enough to give advice. Saturday, maybe we can take a look?

There are some nice features with "My Documents", like automatically managing security, but in general, it feels like it tries to drive, when I want to hold the wheel myself. I have stared keeping all my documents in other folders on other partitions. Then using a custom startup of explorer and the links bar to navigate there.

Custom startup of explorer described here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314853
if you are interested.

Mick

-----------
'Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again.'
—André Gide

or

'No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why.' - Mignon McLaughlin
Go to Top of Page

Rhonda
Supporting Member

90 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  13:11:34  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mick

In WinXP, you can rightclick "Start", Properties, Start menu tab, customize, advanced. and find a few choices that control "My Documents" appearance. Then MS has a WinXP powertoy, called TweakUI, that has a few more minor tweaks. But I have not really played with Media Center enough to give advice. Saturday, maybe we can take a look?

There are some nice features with "My Documents", like automatically managing security, but in general, it feels like it tries to drive, when I want to hold the wheel myself. I have stared keeping all my documents in other folders on other partitions. Then using a custom startup of explorer and the links bar to navigate there.

Custom startup of explorer described here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314853
if you are interested.

Mick

Thanks Mick,

I did look at these options you provided and now realize that My Documents is also found down the 'tree' of My Computer under Documents and Settings. I hadn't realized that. I found it when using the properties of My Documents that the actual Location is in the Documents and Settings. (I didn't realize that practically everything has Properties that tells more about it!)

It will let me send the entire folder to the Thumb drive or CD in one easy step for back up from there, so that is awesome. I guess it is not imperative to have the folder show in the location I described above as 'Files Stored on this Computer'. If that is the case, I am going to carry on with this just the way it is. Especially since I can go to Documents and Settings and easily transfer the whole folder.

If I am able to make it to Saturday's sig I will bring my thumbdrive with some screenshots. (This has happened on my desktop.)

Thanks for always being such a wealth of knowledge and help!

Rhonda
XP Media Center Edition
Sony Vaio Desktop 1GB
Go to Top of Page

Mary
Operating Member

368 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  16:25:26  Show Profile
Rhonda, I wonder if your My Documents folder accidentally got dragged into another folder. Do Start--Search--All files & folders--My Documents and then look at the paths where it finds the folders to see if it's inside another folder somewhere. Holler if my directions don't make sense.

Mary

WinXP,933MHz
Go to Top of Page

Rhonda
Supporting Member

90 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  20:17:50  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mary

Rhonda, I wonder if your My Documents folder accidentally got dragged into another folder. Do Start--Search--All files & folders--My Documents and then look at the paths where it finds the folders to see if it's inside another folder somewhere. Holler if my directions don't make sense.

Mary

WinXP,933MHz

Your directions where great!
I didn't think of doing that. When I did, the only My Document that shows up is the one under 'Documents and Settings' that is on my hard drive. I realize now that may be the path that the documents originate in and there is only one location even though it is seen in three places.

My search did turn up a batch of 'My Docs Drop Target' listed as Types (rather than File Folder). One for each account and the administrator. (Never seen that type before!)

When I ran the same search on one of the other accounts, My documents only shows once in the search, even though it is normally three different places on the My Computer Folders view.....huh! I am learning so much.

I now will view the other two My Documents found as 'ShortCuts'.

Rhonda
XP Media Center Edition
Sony Vaio Desktop 1GB
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000