Windows Defender Window Popup
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joyce
Supporting Member

178 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  17:11:49  Show Profile
As soon as I start my computer this window has been popping up the last several days, which I have to click off before continuing. I have followed the instructions it gives, but it continues to pop up every time I start my computer. It says:

Windows Defender
Application failed to initialize: 0x800106ba. A problem caused Windows Defender Service to stop. To start the service, restart your computer, or search Help and Support on how to start a service manually. OK (in a block to click on)

I have no idea what it is telling me and I have tried restarting but the window still appears. When I went to Help and Support, I didn't know what to do next so didn't try anything.

Joyce
SBC JUNO DSL, WINDOWS XP

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  21:58:27  Show Profile
I went to the Microsoft home page and pasted your error message into the search box (up through the error number). It appears that you may be running the Beta version of Windows Defender. It expired just the other day. You will need to download the final version. It will only run on Windows XP with SP-2 and Windows Vista so others will have to upgrade their operating system or use another third party program. At any rate, I got the below info.

Go onto 'Control Panel', and click on 'Windows Update'.

When windows update opens in a new window, type in Windows Defender into the search box. Click on the first link--

<Windows Defender home>.

Once opened, click on the orange hyperlink button that reads 'Download it here', and then follow the instructions on screen.

Windows defender will be installed and working in no time!

I hope this helps fix the problem.

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

XP-Hm(SP-2) Athlon 1GBRam 160GB Networked 2-Way Satellite
Go to Top of Page

donna
Working Member

25 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  07:49:43  Show Profile
On the last day of December, 2006, I received the same message as Joyce re Windows Defender. Is it critically important that I install an updated Windows Defender from Microsoft Update? I haven't updated yet, but if it's important, I will. My AVG anti-virus scans daily, and I scan with ad-aware and spy-bot about once a week. Not sure what Windows Defender is or what it offers in the way of protection.
Donna

Win XP Home SP-2
1.70GHz Intel Pentium M 1GB RAM
Hi-Spd Cable Connection
Go to Top of Page

joyce
Supporting Member

178 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  12:04:51  Show Profile
Thanks David. With following your instructions, I had no trouble at all installing Windows Defender. It seems like a good idea to have this seemingly good extra protection.

Joyce
SBC JUNO DSL, WINDOWS XP
Go to Top of Page

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  19:54:18  Show Profile
Good for you, Joyce. I'm glad it did the trick.

Donna,

Windows Defender is discussed on Microsoft's web site. If you have Windows XP with SP-2, it is suppose to keep bad "varmits" off of your system. From what I hear (and have tried personally) it gets along well with other tools you now have installed to rid your suystem of spyware, malware and adware.

Hope this helps.

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

XP-Hm(SP-2) Athlon 1GBRam 160GB Networked 2-Way Satellite
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000