Certain web pages won't open from my house
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rhonda
Supporting Member

90 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  18:19:02  Show Profile
Is there a reason that anyone is aware of that would explain why certain pages would be unable to open from one person's computer but the same address works fine somewhere else?

Details:
From my home I have the Coolcat(library) card catalog bookmarked and go to it often. Recently I have been getting 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage'. I thought I was savvy enough that I tried to open it with Firefox but that does not work either.

I then tried to go the library home page and then selected 'Find a book' which usually takes me to the coolcat.The library homepage http://thelibrary.springfield.missouri.org/ opens correctly but it will not link me to the coolcat.org and brings me to the same delimna. It was only after going to the library in person that I saw that the coolcat site is not down! Once I returned home I attempted again and it will not open for me. The same is true for the Mobius page.
I have e-mailed the library and they are thinking it may have something to with my internet provider.
Could someone tell me two things?
1. Would my internet provider actually have something to do with certain pages that I would be able to view?
2. Would it have been possible that somehow one of my various security programs has mistakenly blocked my access to these pages?

I am running these items:Spyware blaster, spybot search and destroy, Ad-aware, bitdefender anti-virus, and ZoneAlarm.

I am stumped!!!!

Rhonda
XP Media Center Edition
Sony Vaio Desktop 1GB

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  15:13:50  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonda

Is there a reason that anyone is aware of that would explain why certain pages would be unable to open from one person's computer but the same address works fine somewhere else?

Rhonda, this is a partial list of reasons.
Firewall blocking -- turn ZA off for a test.
"Hosts" file -- http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm explains how the host file can block some web sites. If you didnt edit hosts, that is unlikely.
Router blocking -- Router can be set to selective block addresses, again unlikely unless you are a geek.
Destination Webpage blocking -- some sites need a cookie, I have seen some connections that failed because of a corrupted cookie on my computer, deleting their cookie let me back in. Usually another browser would fix this.
Bad DNS service -- Your ISP usually provides a machine address that you use as a look-up to convert the domain name to an IP address, if this machine is bent, some web pages may not work. You can set your computer up to use another DNS source, like 4.2.2.1 buried down in your network settings.

Pinging the address may give some ideas. At the Command Line type:
ping coolcat.org

you should get, on a working connection, something like

Reply from 198.209.8.2: bytes=32 time=63ms TTL=241
Reply from 198.209.8.2: bytes=32 time=68ms TTL=241
Reply from 198.209.8.2: bytes=32 time=64ms TTL=241
Reply from 198.209.8.2: bytes=32 time=76ms TTL=241

If you get an error message, try

ping 198.209.8.2

(The IP address of the Library) If this works, where the other did not, then (assuming I didnt make a typo) you have a DNS problem.

There is about 50 other things that have to work right, that I cant remember right now. It is a wonder that it works at all. More maybe after I think about it for a while.

Mick

-----------
'Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again.'
�Andr� Gide

or

'No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why.' - Mignon McLaughlin

Edited by - Mick on 01/11/2007 15:15:57
Go to Top of Page

Rhonda
Supporting Member

90 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  16:25:54  Show Profile
I have selected to enter in my response in red through some of your message. I hope this was o.k.
quote:
Originally posted by Mick

Rhonda, this is a partial list of reasons.
Firewall blocking -- turn ZA off for a test.I Tested. It made no difference.
"Hosts" file -- http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm explains how the host file can block some web sites. If you didnt edit hosts, that is unlikely. I have not ever edited my host file. I use the same one you are from the website listed here and I update it regularly.
Router blocking -- Router can be set to selective block addresses, again unlikely unless you are a geek. I agree. I have no router unless I am unaware that there are routers in my modem. We only have a cable modem set up with one computer in our house.
Destination Webpage blocking -- some sites need a cookie, I have seen some connections that failed because of a corrupted cookie on my computer, deleting their cookie let me back in. Usually another browser would fix this. I agree that it would seem that Firefox would open this even if IE wouldn't. Nevertheless, I went searching for the cookies. I can't even remember where to find the cookies in IE 7 ? but I did find the cookies in firefox, BUT not for coolcat, only thelibrary.org. I deleted that one and signed back in to the library and then clicked the link and still nothing in Firefox.
Bad DNS service -- Your ISP usually provides a machine address that you use as a look-up to convert the domain name to an IP address, if this machine is bent, some web pages may not work. You can set your computer up to use another DNS source, like 4.2.2.1 buried down in your network settings.
I am confused by this computer lingo Mick! HELP! What is DNS? What do you mean 'if this machine is bent' How can I test this? How can I 'set my computer up to use another DNS source' that you list here?
Could you walk me through this on here or is it too complex?

Pinging the address may give some ideas. At the Command Line type:
ping coolcat.org

you should get, on a working connection, something like

Reply from 198.209.8.2: bytes=32 time=63ms TTL=241
Reply from 198.209.8.2: bytes=32 time=68ms TTL=241
Reply from 198.209.8.2: bytes=32 time=64ms TTL=241
Reply from 198.209.8.2: bytes=32 time=76ms TTL=241

O.K. I went to run and typed in the 'Ping coolcat.org' and then my 'command prompt' black screen came up and showed the replies like you have above. Then the screen quickly goes away. I am redoing it over and over and I am only seeing the first three Reply from...... then the screen goes away. I am sorry, I am not familiar with what I should see or have happen with this one. ( I am trusting, aren't I?)
If you get an error message, try

ping 198.209.8.2

(The IP address of the Library) If this works, where the other did not, then (assuming I didnt make a typo) you have a DNS problem.
Mick
[/quote]
Also a little more info. I am having a lot of trouble with both browsers today. I signed in to IE and my homepage(Google) would not open. After some time, I clicked on ICON and Komando.com. When it finally did open a page it opened Google English on my screen but showed komando.com in the address bar. Even with refresh when I had hit komando.com!? and it kept acting weird. I opened Firefox and immediately received an update for my IE tab extension. Then it gave me error http 404 when trying to open all pages I selected. (Strangly enough all of my problems are happening after receiving the Microsoft updates that have recently come in.)I signed out of my browsers and restarted the computer and then opened the IE browser again just so I could respond to this thread.

Anyone else experiencing this
????

Rhonda
XP Media Center Edition
Sony Vaio Desktop 1GB
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  23:30:03  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage
A few words on "Command line"
If you type the commands in at "start run" then it will open the black command line window, run your instructions, then close. Hard to read...

If, on the other hand, you do a Start AllPrograms Accessories CommandPrompt, you get a permanent window. Then you can type the commands, and the results are there to see. and you can type in more commands to see a followup. Use the ping commands there. If you get a response time display, it is said you "can ping" the site.

If you can ping the NAME, but not connect, your browser has a problem (I think).
If you cant ping the NAME, but can ping the NUMBER then you have a DNS problem.
If you cant "ping" the IP address then it is something else, like your ISP blocking or something outside your computer.

If it looks like a DNS problem, read on.
A few words on DNS (Domain Name Servers)
Computers dont like names, they like numbers (IP addresses). There are a few (hundred?, thousand?) computers on the internet that dont do anything but look up IP addresses. When you tell your browser to fetch the page for example "www.google.com" your browser first thinks "whut the heck?" then, "Oh, that looks like a domain name, I'll check my DNS server to see if there is an IP address for that name..." Then, it goes to its previously known DNS address to get the address for the desired page, and using that address, goes for the desired page.

OK, how does it find the DNS computer? Well your computer either knows the address of a DNS computer, or more usually, your computer knows the address of a computer that will give the address of a DNS provider (yeah, I know how that sounds, but bear with me). In the control panel, if you look in "Network Connections" you will see the icons representing various sorts of installed hardware that connect to the internet. Maybe one called "Dialup Connection", or "Local Area Connection"(most likely for wired cable modem or DSL), or "Wireless Network Connection" (if you have a wireless).

One of these is probably used for your connection. Right click the most likely one for your case, and select Properties. At the bottom of the scrollable section in the middle of the .... Properties window, select (click once) on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" then click on the "Properties" button. Probably 99% of folks will have the button "Obtain an IP address automatically", and "Obtain DNS Server address automatically" checked.

To confirm if your problem is DNS related, click the button by "Use the following DNS server addresses" and enter 204.127.203.135 in one address, and 4.2.2.1 in the other. (Other public DNS choices that I have used successfully are 208.67.222.222, and 208.67.222.220) Then click OK, OK. Now restart your browser, and try the non working web pages.

Remember how you got here, so you can go back to the auto DNS setting if this does not fix things. If it fixes your problem, it is a problem with your ISP's provided DNS server. You can just leave the public numbers in there.

Given you recent problems, it is always a possiblity that you have picked up a mal-ware of somesort. Lets hope not, because that is not always easy to diagnose. (for me anyway)

Good luck

Mick

-----------
'Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again.'
—André Gide

or

'No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why.' - Mignon McLaughlin
Go to Top of Page

Rhonda
Supporting Member

90 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  11:01:22  Show Profile
First I just want to say Thank you for all of the help you and others provide here!

I went throught the command prompt and was relieved to know how to keep that window up there. I felt like I had to hurry and take a quick view before! Now I have the knowledge on how to make it stay.
I reran the commamd prompt. I ran both the name and then the IP address. Both showed success!!!

I then followed your instructions on the DNS. Wow and Thank you. I was walked right through it! I followed all the steps and took notes on how I got there. I then closed out the browser and reopened it and attempted accessing the webpage coolcat.org. Still no success. So, I have gone in and reset the DNS to the original settings.

I had remembered that when I was at the Library last night and was on their coolcat webpage, it began with https. I had not remembered it being a secured webpage. I had always noticed with the address bar it was http.(especially with my bookmark/favorites)

Now, I believed I was 'resourceful' enough, as I said before to make sure my bookmark was not wrong. Therefore, when I began having this problem, I had tried a few other 'routes' to get here before yelling help!!!
I had gone to the library homepage from my computer and clicked 'Find a book' which at the library brings up coolcat.
When that did not work, I had googled it and then clicked the link there.(coolcat.org)

Well, now that I have relived all of this with you and we have run through all of this troubleshooting methods, I tried one more thing. I entered in the https://coolcat.org to the address bar and guess what came up!!!!!!
SUCCESS!!!!
O.K. I will contain myself..... Hmph!!!

I think the library recently changed their coolcat to a secure https page and all the resources are not responding to it. (Except, if you all are not all questioned out, why would the computer at the library respond successfully to the link 'Find a Book' on their homepage, but from my home computer it does not?)
If one does all the methods as of this morning, google and following the route to the library homepage, even the link 'find a book'(from my computer anyway) the http://coolcat.org comes up with an 'Internet Explorer can not display this page' error.

I don't know about all of you, but things like this will mess with my mind and make me think I am going mad or make me start wondering if I am doing something wrong. I will just yell out here to anyone learning and going through the frustrations of learning computing, HANG IN THERE!!! I am so grateful for ICON!

Needless to say, I am grateful to have my coolcat back.

Rhonda
XP Media Center Edition
Sony Vaio Desktop 1GB
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000