laptop harddrive surprise
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ozengr
Operating Member

212 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  19:28:09  Show Profile
i purchased an acer aspire 3690 BL50 w/ vista, and much to my surprise "properties" shows an "acer C" and a "data D" harddrive.
the spec listed on the carton shows a 60gig HD.........the 2 above are each 24.5gig.

is the store trying to put one over on me?

oz

Mick
Administrator

1492 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  21:11:38  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage
You may have a hidden partition. Frequently used to hold the OS installation files, instead instead of giving you a real Windows CD.

Try this: Right-click MyComputer. click Manage, click "Disk Management". This should list all partitions, hidden or not.

There is also the difference between GigaBytes (1024^3) and Billions of bytes (1000^3) Sales folks frequently lie, and report sizes in Billions of bytes and label it GigaBytes, for about a 7% over-describing of disk size.

Mick

-----------
'Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again.'
—André Gide

or

'No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why.' - Mignon McLaughlin
Go to Top of Page

ozengr
Operating Member

212 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  11:07:14  Show Profile
ok mick, here is what i have:

eisa config 7gig
c...sys, boot, page file...primary...24.7gig...36% used
d...primary...24.4gig...1% used.

practically speaking, what does this mean to me when i am saving data to my docs(docs, in vista)...........does everything goto c until it is full and then overflow into d?

when i am browsing for a file, will i eventually have to look in two different drives?

oz
Go to Top of Page

ozengr
Operating Member

212 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  08:44:23  Show Profile
will someone else please respond to my last post........i have to decide today whether or not i exchange the laptop

oz
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1492 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  12:20:53  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage
Sorry, I got distracted yesterday,

I guess it is possible that the "hidden" restore partition would not show up on the disk manager. If I had your situation, I would possibly challenge on the size. 15% is a little more than a marketing margin. And hard drives in enormous sizes are getting really cheap, if you watch for them. On the other hand, 25 GB is about 10,000 photos or 5000 songs, roughly 17,000 floppy disks. Unless you have a lot of songs, video, or photos, it will probably die before you fill it. But one High Def video can take up 10-20 GB. Depends on what you plan to do.

As to how do you use a partitioned drive, I ALWAYS partition my HD, usually into 3. A system drive that has the OS, and all installed software. A data drive, where I put all "my documents" (I dont really move the windows MD), just create folder categories on the data drive, like Documents, Drawings, Downloads, Video, Audio,... whatever works for you, arange it the way your brain aranges things. This way I can just "Copy D:" and my data is backed up.

I also have a "temporary data partition", to reduce fragmentation, but in your case, you could just use their C: partition which is the usual default for temp...

More important in my mind, than the partitioning, is did you get a windows disk? If so, you can always reinstall, and partition as you like. If no windows CD, only a restore CD, you are stuck with their partitions unless you pay for a third party program like Partition Magic.

Mick

-----------
'Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again.'
—André Gide

or

'No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why.' - Mignon McLaughlin
Go to Top of Page

ozengr
Operating Member

212 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  17:29:56  Show Profile
thanks mick...........this all seems workable to me

oz
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000