Questions for Mick
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran
Working Member

36 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  10:22:12  Show Profile
First, I want to thank you for all of your help and advice last Saturday at the seminar.

I did the "error check" first and my computer IS running better but I waited until my eyes returned to normal following some tests before comparing my files with your registry as it's a tedious process. I have a few questions about that:

1) Why are there so many programs with the same name?

Image Name User Name CPU Mem Usage

svchost.exe LOCAL SERVICE 00 4,320K
svchost.exe NETWORK SERVICE 00 3,228K
svchost.exe SYSTEM 00 24,660K
svchost.exe NETWORK SERVICE 00 4,412K
svchost.exe SYSTEM 00 4,992K

2) Why is this program "Unrated" instead of "Safe"
csrss.exe SYSTEM 00 3,844K

3) What are the disadvantages to using "ProcessLibrary.com" free scan as opposed to checking each program's name against their directory?

Thanks again.
Fran

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  11:10:45  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Fran

First, I want to thank you for all of your help and advice last Saturday at the seminar.

I did the "error check" first and my computer IS running better but I waited until my eyes returned to normal following some tests before comparing my files with your registry as it's a tedious process. I have a few questions about that:

1) Why are there so many programs with the same name?

Much like you can have several "instances" (meaning something like copies) of Notepad, or Paint, running at once, you can have several instances of svchost.exe it is a very general program that is necessary for lots of other programs.
quote:

2) Why is this program "Unrated" instead of "Safe"
csrss.exe SYSTEM 00 3,844K

I dont know. Did you check the documentation on the ProcessLibrary website?
quote:

3) What are the disadvantages to using "ProcessLibrary.com" free scan as opposed to checking each program's name against their directory?

The disadvantage is that, like any "program" the free scan has the potential to interfere with something else. Referencing their list, and making your own decision has some risks also, but leaves you in control. But running "free checks" casually is (in my opinion) a really bad habit. If you do your research, and become comfortable that it is a good, safe program, then run it. I might run it myself, But I have not checked it out carefully enough to recommend it to others.
quote:

Thanks again.
Fran

Glad to help
Mick
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000