antivirus programs
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ozengr
Operating Member

214 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  17:58:49  Show Profile
does anyone know of a free aev program that runs properly in vista home basic?

norton will not do a live update, and avast quits in the middle of a full scan.

oz

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  22:51:17  Show Profile
Have you downloaded a new Avast! antivirus program? If you upgraded to Vista it is possible that Avast! may have been corrupted in some way. I would install a fresh copy of the latest version. According to their web site it is Vista compatible, but has anyone else tried it on Vista?

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

XP-Hm(SP-2) Athlon 1GBRam 160GB Networked 2-Way Satellite
Go to Top of Page

Terry
Operating Member

383 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  06:27:56  Show Profile  Visit Terry's Homepage
quote:
I would install a fresh copy of the latest version. According to their web site it is Vista compatible, but has anyone else tried it on Vista?

David

Gee David, I haven't even tried Vista yet!
Terry
Go to Top of Page

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  22:35:42  Show Profile
Hehehehe... And I won't try Vista either - until after SP-1 comes out - Whenever that might be - and not before.

I don't know about other folks, but I have too much software that MUST run right on my machine (like professional tax software) and it does not run on Vista this season. Maybe next year(?)

And some software issues may NEVER go away. For example: If my tax software doesn't run on Vista now, will this years(or prior years) tax software ever run on Vista? If not, how do I access older tax returns? By the way, it's mandatory that I maintain copies for 3 years. Granted, I have paper copies. But what if I need to amend one? The software has a built-in facility to handle that. I can do it manually, but why would I want to do things the "OLD WAY" when I have a "NEW" operating system? Come on now Microsoft/tax software company, get your acts together.

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

XP-Hm(SP-2) Athlon 1GBRam 160GB Networked 2-Way Satellite
Go to Top of Page

ozengr
Operating Member

214 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  22:43:52  Show Profile
avast seems to be working now, after 2 days of rebooting and upating.

oz
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000