Outlook Express
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran
Working Member

36 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  10:34:00  Show Profile
I have a Dell Laptop with Windows XP. I recently switched ISPs, i.e., from dial up with Fidnet to DSL with CenturyTel. I just began using Outlook Express and sometimes get the following error message:

A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account: 'ceagle52', Server: 'mail.so.centurytel.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19

Advice appreciated. Thanks,

Fran

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  18:04:14  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage
Fran, I saw one message suggesting that you might have a large email (too large for your connection--10MB?) stuck in the received mail queue. If you can go to your ISPs web-mail page, you can check the messages, and if there is a great big one delete it, and get it unstuck. I would not think that would be an intermittent problem, but this fixed a problem with my mother-in-law's Outlook Express, -- I am not sure about her error message.

Another suggestion that I found is that it is dependent on the version of Outlook Express, and if you have v5 you might need Service Pack 1 from Microsoft. Give the first solution a try, if that does not work, we will try again. Do you have automatic updates turned on? Which version of OE/IE?

For more info, here is Microsoft's explanation. Some of their fixes are pretty extreme though. Link

Mick

-----------
'Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again.'
—André Gide

or

'No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why.' - Mignon McLaughlin
Go to Top of Page

Fran
Working Member

36 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  21:08:22  Show Profile
Thanks a lot Mick. I'll get back to you if I can't resolve the problem.
Fran
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000