MS Word 2002
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wolfjrl
Working Member

47 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  14:19:42  Show Profile
I uninstalled Word trying to correct a problem. Now I cannot get it to reinstall from the original disk. It goes through the steps but doesn't show up any where. I can open the files that were generated in Word but not the program itself.

Terry
Operating Member

383 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  21:21:49  Show Profile  Visit Terry's Homepage
Hi John,
Have you looked in the "All Programs" option from the "Start" menu?

When you open a Word file, what does the Title Bar say the program is that opens it (example: Your file name.doc-Microsoft Word)?

When you open a file, try clicking "File" on the Menu bar, then "New" on the Drop Down menu. If it opens a new blank document, Word is installed.

Are you looking for a shortcut on the desktop?

Let us know.
Terry
Go to Top of Page

wolfjrl
Working Member

47 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  11:02:00  Show Profile
Thanks for responding Terry. It does not show up in the program list. When I open a Word document from My Documents it shows WordPad at the top in the Title Bar.

When I open New from File it opens WordPad.

There isn't a shortcut anywhere. There use to be one in the Start Menu as well as the Desktop.
Go to Top of Page

wolfjrl
Working Member

47 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  12:53:11  Show Profile
I finally got Word to install by installing Works first, even though I hadn't messed with it. Word still opens a way too slow but at least it opens. Thanks for all.
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1495 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  16:21:57  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage
wolfjrl, do you perhaps use Norton antivirus or systemworks? I see there are several complaints of Word slowdowns associated there.

And here is an MVP (Microsoft Valuable Professional) page, with some more suggestions:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ProbsOpeningWord.htm

Mick

-----------
'Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again.'
—André Gide

or

'No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why.' - Mignon McLaughlin
Go to Top of Page

wolfjrl
Working Member

47 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  01:00:09  Show Profile
Thanks Mick for your input.

Yes, I do use Norton AntiVirus. However I have for years and my word problem just started about 3-4 weeks ago. I timed it today and it took 3 min 45 sec to open. Programs within works open much faster from My Documents and a new word blank will appear much sooner if I open a file first there.....?????
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000