Error on Real Player
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joyce
Supporting Member

178 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  23:13:21  Show Profile
On one of the DVD's I've tried to run, all of a sudden Real Player sends up a window that says: Real Player has an error and needs to close...To see what data this error report contains, click here.

After clicking, this message comes up: This error report includes information regarding the condition of Real Player when the problem occurred; the operating system version and computer hardware in use; your Digital Product ID, which could be used to identify your license and the Internet Protocal (IP) address of your computer.

Several months ago I ran this video several times and never had a problem. Why am I having a problem now? I don't seen to have a problem with others once I have them running, but sometimes I can't get them to run because Real Player doesn't come up after I click on the file in the E Drive. It seems if I turn the computer off for a while, then I can run them, but not the one I mentioned first.

The desk is very warm when I take it out of the tray. Should it be???

Joyce
SBC JUNO DSL, WINDOWS XP

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  23:59:18  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage
Joyce, this is just a wild guess -- if you have Windows Update turned on automatic, your system probably got updated last week. And there have been reports of some "Realtec" (which soulnds like it might be associated with Real player) software breaking as a result of the patch. Yours may be one of the casualties.

It may be one of those things that it is best to wait for a while. If you really want to play this DVD, you could try using Windows Media Player, or you could go to System Restore, and set your system back to a time before the 3rd of April when the patch came out. But the patch was released to fix a fairly nasty weakness, and exploits of the weakness have been detected loose on the internet, so that there is some risk with going back before the patch.

When I Googled "animated cursor patch breaks" (without quotes) it had lots of stories about problems. Since Microsoft has only known about this problem since December, and they were really busy with Vista publicity they probably had to rush this patch out.
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  00:04:30  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage
On the "warm disk" problem, it does sound a little like heat might be the culprit. Any time a problem goes away after letting the machine cool off, a heating problem is one thing to check on. And I dont recall noticing CDs and DVDs being particularly warm after playing. Anyone else?

Mick

Edited by - Mick on 04/10/2007 00:04:57
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000