Firewall
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rapunzel
Supporting Member

58 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  07:28:49  Show Profile
Thanks Mick for the quick response to my problems. I think I'll probably go with Kerio. I had never heard of it but found it in my computer magazine yesterday after I read your reply. If I like it I'll probably go pro--I still have a hefty refund on the Norton stuff. I had Zone Alarm for a long time---free and pro and thought them good but was always uneasy because the questions of allowing or not was sometimes in "computer language" I was not sure about.
Thanks for HP info--don't know how I missed that Sunday afternoon. I am getting spoiled by the fast friendly help and support I have received from a couple of smaller companies I have dealt with in the last few months.

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  15:47:19  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage
I personally use the Pro version of Kerio. I suspect that it is much the same as Zone Alarm. I dont remember the details, but several years ago I was having some problems with Zone Alarm, after using it 5-6 years, and I heard the guys on the Security Now program,
( http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm )
who I have considerable respect for, and they recommended the Kerio. As I searched around the 'net I found others who use and like Kerio, and they were having a special.

Kerio has a lot of configurability, and it pestered the heck out of me for a day or so, until it got "trained" on which applications were OK. But as I recall, it has something like a "use default" choice during installation which will bypass that sort of thing.

I like the fact that it notices when ever I install a new version of a program, and asks me if it is OK. Also, when I am tweaking, it has some nice internet speed meters to see how things are working.

Mick

-----------
'Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again.'
—André Gide

or

'No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why.' - Mignon McLaughlin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000