New Laptop Locked
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DeLynn Bishop
Participating Member

11 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  20:03:54  Show Profile
My Laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A135 Series, OS Vista Home Premium. My wife played a jewel chase game before I had a chance to set up the user accounts or read the product guide on line. Now when it boots up. the icons show as normal on the desktop and then they drop to the bottom of the screen and the open programs box is amber and the programs are not able to be used. I noticed that there is a lock this computer choice when you start to shutdown or switch users. I think the lock button is turned on. The paper resource guide is very limited so no help there. Any ideas? Thanks

Dell 4700 Win XP Home

Mick
Administrator

1493 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  00:40:42  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage
Ooooh! Vista. I have no experience with this OS, so none if this is likely to work. Now, if it was XP, with these symptoms, it would be possible that your wife locked the machine when she signed off? Did you try signing on with the "administrator" account with a blank password? In XP, 2K, NT, early days, usually there was an administrator account left on most systems, no password required to sign on. Just by accessing the sign on window by (after power on) ctrl-alt-del twice, put in "Administrator" and enter.

I would assume that Vista has closed this particular hole, and the only way to access a system with lost password would be to reinstall windows.

Please keep us advised, we may all be having this problem some day... Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

DeLynn Bishop
Participating Member

11 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  18:27:57  Show Profile
Mystery solved. There is a google taskbar that comes up automatically, I finally learned to delete the screen and everything returns to normal. Thank for your response.

Dell 4700 Win XP Home
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1493 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  20:55:18  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DeLynn Bishop

Mystery solved. ....

Great that you got it solved. Probably should file this one in the database of Vista problems that will show up over the next few years.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000