reading pdf file
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jimstewart
Operating Member

239 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  22:49:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what free programs are available that read pdf files?
thanks jim s.

pc"s;98dell-2000&2005 compaq-2004 dell notebook
OpSys;Me-Xphm&pro-linux
sbc-yahoo-dsl,2wire wireless router

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  00:10:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gee, Jim.

There are almost too many to mention. I have tried some of them, but I still gravitate back to Adobe Reader. PDF995 is good from my recollection. I tried the Foxit PDF reader, but something about it kept me from calling it good.

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Velocity Micro, Vista Ultimate, Intel Dual Core 2.66Ghz, 2GBRam, 400GB HDD, 320MB nVidia 8800GTS, Networked 2-Way Satellite

Edited by - D.Oliver on 02/21/2008 00:15:09
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  00:27:14  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Guess I am less picky than David. I have been using Foxit reader for a couple of years. Adobe is just so huge and slow. And it was pestering me about something, and I uninstalled it. If you want to use the most advanced form-filling-and-calculating features, you might want to keep Adobe handy.

But then I dont care much for the whole concept of PDF format the way most people use it--it is necessary if you really need to keep the format frozen and ready to print, but for most stuff, it is so much friendlier to allow the reader to pick his favorite font/size/margins like HTML. (my opinion is in the minority)
Go to Top of Page

ExVeep
Operating Member

289 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  10:03:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been using pdf995 for sometime and find it quite good.

Charles a.k.a. Exveep

Tho' he might be more humble,
There's no Police like Holmes.

Desktop Win 98 SE.
Laptop Win XP home.
Desktop Win XP Professional.
Connect dsl sbc yahoo
Go to Top of Page

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  20:49:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mick, Did you find that Foxit Reader works well with Vista? There was just something about Foxit (and I can't remember what it was) that was difficult for me to get comfortable with. Ah, but my mind is in regression.

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Velocity Micro, Vista Ultimate, Intel Dual Core 2.66Ghz, 2GBRam, 400GB HDD, 320MB nVidia 8800GTS, Networked 2-Way Satellite
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  21:09:47  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David, Foxit seems fine with Vista, I dont do anything fancy with it. The free version has an ability to type annotations, draw on documents etc it will not save the notes, and leaves a little "trial" notation ad on the document if you try to print the notes.

I was a PDF995 user for quite a while, but (my memory is fuzzy also) I think it was installing at the C: root folder location, rather than in Program files, and this just seems unsanitary.

Mick

Edited by - Mick on 02/21/2008 21:10:17
Go to Top of Page

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  22:01:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was it! I was needing to save notes and didn't care for the trial notation ad. Thanks for the "jog."

David

Go to Top of Page

jimstewart
Operating Member

239 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  23:43:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the info and ideas
another source has told me that freespire/linux will read pdf
any experience, anybody?

pc"s;98dell-2000&2005 compaq-2004 dell notebook
OpSys;Me-Xphm&pro-linux
sbc-yahoo-dsl,2wire wireless router
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  23:47:56  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Try this
http://lwn.net/Articles/113094/

Mick

----- On listening ------
'Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again.'
—André Gide

or

'No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why.' - Mignon McLaughlin

finally

'There is no point in listening to other people. They are either going to be agreeing with you, or saying stupid stuff.' -Dogbert

Go to Top of Page

armonddunn

2 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  17:43:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been trying all afternoon, can anyone tell me how to fill a PDF form. I have reader 9 which is supposed to allow filling in the blanks. Or, is there a program that will let me?
Go to Top of Page

armonddunn

2 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  18:05:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot to mention about reading the PDF file and asking for help, that it was sent in an email.
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  22:56:13  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have not used the Adobe PDF reader for a while, because it is has a history of security bugs, plus it is slow and klunky. But it should be the most capable, because they set the standard. But I use the Foxit pdf reader, and it seems to work ok for forms. You sure you got the form from a reputable source? Maybe the form is just bad?

ʞɔᴉƜ
Go to Top of Page

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2010 :  17:02:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The source of the form (web site) should state explicitly that it is a 'fill-in' form. IRS has fill-in forms as do most state taxing agencies. Others *should* state this.

David
"One of the greatest things about the Internet is that you can quote something and totally make up the source."
--- Thomas Jefferson

Velocity Micro, Vista Ultimate 32-bit/SP2, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz, 4GBRam, 400GB HDD, 320MB nVidia 8800GTS, Networked, 2-Way Satellite, 250 GB External Network HDD
Go to Top of Page

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  22:36:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Armond,

Have we been able to clear up your issue with the PDF form? Just curious. Thanks

David
"One of the greatest things about the Internet is that you can quote something and totally make up the source."
--- Thomas Jefferson

Velocity Micro, Vista Ultimate 32-bit/SP2, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz, 4GBRam, 400GB HDD, 320MB nVidia 8800GTS, Networked, 2-Way Satellite, 250 GB External Network HDD
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000