Replacing Hard Drive
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DeLynn Bishop
Participating Member

11 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  13:36:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I replaced a 40 gb hard drive in a pentium 4 machine with a 60 gb hard drive. The 60gb with a genuine copy of windows XP operating system won't boot up. It the bios doesn't seem to recognize the partition and I get an error message. Any suggestions? Thanks

Dell 4700 Win XP Home

Edited by - DeLynn Bishop on 11/17/2008 11:25:43

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  15:56:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you install the WinXP Home?

What error does it give you?

Has the new drive been partitioned and formatted?

Maybe I should start over here.

I would assume (bad, bad) that the reason your system is not booting is due to multiple possibilities; one of which "could" be that the operating system was already on the hard drive before you installed the hard drive into your case.

At any rate ...

The first thing to do would probably be to install the hard drive in the computer case. You should go into the BIOS Setup area and verify the hard drive is "visible" to the system.

If so, set the CD-ROM drive as a boot device, put the Windows XP CD in the drive, save the BIOS changes you made (to add the CD-ROM as a boot device) and boot the system.

The CD should guide you through the installation process.

Please let us know if you have any questions on how to do this.

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Velocity Micro, Vista Ultimate, Intel Dual Core 2.66Ghz, 2GBRam, 400GB HDD, 320MB nVidia 8800GTS, Networked 2-Way Satellite

Edited by - D.Oliver on 03/05/2008 16:29:10
Go to Top of Page

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2008 :  13:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahhhh.... a Dell. You "may" have to connect the new hard drive to the same connection on the ribbon cable as the original 40 GB hard drive. Dells are finicky about where they are connected on the ribbon cable. They set the "Master" hard drive based on location.

Also - are you "sure" you copied the "Boot Sector" of the old hard drive to the new one? If not, you can add one, but it's a little tricky, but not beyond anyones capability.

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Velocity Micro, Vista Ultimate/SP1, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz, 4GBRam, 400GB HDD, 320MB nVidia 8800GTS, Networked 2-Way Satellite
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000