Recovering documents
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wolfjrl
Working Member

47 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2008 :  08:48:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I now have Vista. I copied my XP files to disk then transferred them to Documents on my hard drive. Everything has been hunky dorey until this AM. Now when I try to open a document I get a screen that says: Save as type: Word 2007 Macro-enabled Document (*.docm)

I have restarted once and will do it again as soon as I complete this. Anyone have any ideas? Without these documents I am in a "Big Hurt".

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2008 :  09:18:19  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think that is standard Vista style. It is just worried that there may be dangerous macros. Cant you just click Continue? You may need to run as an Administrator though...

Mick

Go to Top of Page

wolfjrl
Working Member

47 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2008 :  11:44:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do you mean "run as Administrator"?
Go to Top of Page

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2008 :  15:27:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The file extensions are standard Office 2007 file extensions. There are some new ones you're not used to, such as any file for which macros have been enabled - not that there actually are any though. This is another new security feature in MS Office 2007.

You can turn the macro capability on and off (the same as other versions of Office), but can do it from the "Developer" menu item or the "Office Button" to the left of the "Home" menu item.

The other Office 2007 file types have new extensions also.

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Velocity Micro, Vista Ultimate/SP1, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz, 4GBRam, 400GB HDD, 320MB nVidia 8800GTS, Networked 2-Way Satellite
Go to Top of Page

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2008 :  15:31:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You won't need to run as Administrator. To keep the files in an earlier Office format (97, 2000, 2002, 2003) just select "Save As" then select "Word 97_2003 Document." It will not use the new 2007 file extensions. Be aware that you can't save the new Office 2007 formatting features unless you save the files as an Office 2007 file type.

Hope this helps.

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Velocity Micro, Vista Ultimate/SP1, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz, 4GBRam, 400GB HDD, 320MB nVidia 8800GTS, Networked 2-Way Satellite
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2008 :  17:17:51  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is interesting David. So, Office 2007 starts pestering you when you OPEN a file from the older version? Didnt know that. I think I will continue fighting the push toward 2007, just stay with Open Office.

Mick

Go to Top of Page

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2008 :  21:52:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. You're right. She DID say "open" didn't she.
Well. I'm at a loss as to why the prompt to "Save..." would be appearing upon opening a file. I rest on this one. I have zero experience I'm afraid.

Sorry.

David

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000