excel by alphabet
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jimstewart
Operating Member

239 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  08:46:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
using xp i wany to type a column of names then arrange them a thru z.
any direction appreciated.
thanks jim s.

operating systems;
xp home & pro & linux
computers;
laptop & pc's

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  11:39:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What version of Excel do you have?

Have you looked at the "Help" yet?

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Velocity Micro, Vista Ultimate/SP1, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz, 4GBRam, 400GB HDD, 320MB nVidia 8800GTS, Networked 2-Way Satellite

Edited by - D.Oliver on 03/16/2009 11:40:55
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  11:56:21  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Look at Help", David, have you lost it!!?? I will just give him what would work for me (Office 2003) because I know Jim is too smart (and cheap) to buy Office 2007.

If you are going to type them, just type them in. Each name in one cell.

Then, select the data you just typed in, and on the Excel menu, click Data->sort and follow instructions. However you may want to think carefully about what you are goint to want to do with the data after that. For instance, if you want to sort by last name, you will need to put "Smith, James" in the cell (to sort into the 'S's rather than "James Smith" (which would get sorted in the Js)

Even better, would be to have two columns, "LastName" and "First-MI" or some such. Then you can easily treat them separately, and if you need the whole name, just add them together in another column.

Plus, Dont I have a class on spreadsheets next Tuesday? Can you wait?.

Mick
----------------
You can never have too much time, luck, shelf space or duct tape.
Go to Top of Page

jimstewart
Operating Member

239 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  21:36:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is the great reward of using icon form. all this attention.
thank you guy's for your participation.
i will participate in the tuesday sig.
the only question left will be how does open office fit in this question?
why pay for ANY other program, even microsoft programs!
thanks jim s.

operating systems;
xp home & pro & linux
computers;
laptop & pc's
Go to Top of Page

jimstewart
Operating Member

239 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  21:56:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
addendum; how about sort in either ascending or descending order.
Now next question.
assume i have 20 names , sorted, now how do i print the page with the lines still showing?
thanks jim s.

operating systems;
xp home & pro & linux
computers;
laptop & pc's
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  22:45:24  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimstewart

addendum; how about sort in either ascending or descending order.

When you go through the data->sort menu, there is a choice for ascending, or descending. Pick that as you want.
quote:

Now next question.
assume i have 20 names , sorted, now how do i print the page with the lines still showing?
thanks jim s.

Assuming you mean the cell boundaries? Those are called gridlines, not normally printed. You can add specialized borders to cells and groups of cells which will print--Format cells by selecting the bunch of cells, then Format->Cells->Borders well it gets a little tricky there poke around the graphic-controls you will likely figure it out.

or if you want to print all the gridlines as shown. Open office menu, use-- Format-> page-> sheet-> grid.

Excel is similar, but I dont have it on this computer so I cant be to specific.

Mick
----------------
Go to Top of Page

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2009 :  13:16:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry guys. It's just that, at work, I am the Excel "goto" person so when I have a question you can almost count on noone else knowing the answer. I "have" to go to HELP and then go out on the thin limb and try it.

I will try to refrain from these antics in the future.

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Velocity Micro, Vista Ultimate/SP1, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz, 4GBRam, 400GB HDD, 320MB nVidia 8800GTS, Networked 2-Way Satellite
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2009 :  15:11:08  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D.Oliver

Sorry guys. It's just that, at work, I am the Excel "goto" person so when I have a question you can almost count on noone else knowing the answer. I "have" to go to HELP and then go out on the thin limb and try it.

I will try to refrain from these antics in the future.

Well, we will let you by with it this time, but in the future you should never suggest that Jim "look at help". (They dont let you get away with that kind of suggestion at work do they?) The "Help" tools would not help Jim much--I am not sure he could read it, because they often use CAPITAL LETTERS!!!

Mick
----------------
Go to Top of Page

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2009 :  15:54:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It never ceases to amaze me. I have been on this forum for several years now and I still can't put anything past anyone.

David

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000