Microsoft Office Software
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pat Gav
Supporting Member

95 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  11:05:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am going to get new Microsoft Office Software for my church. I can get either 2003 or 2007. I am going to get new computers running Windows 7 64bit. I know that both will run on that operating system. I have not used 2007 myself and have read that it has some problems. Anyone out there have any experience with it? I like to look to the future and hate not to go forward, but I know that 2003 works well. I also know that 2007 uses a different file format and those of us with 2003 have to install a reader to read the files.

Pat
Inquiring minds want to know...Windows 7 Home Premium...high speed wireless internet.

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  11:28:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In a nutshell: I would recommend getting MS Office 2007. It can read and save in any Excel, Word, etc. format that Microsoft has used in the past. You can read and save a version 2003 file back as a version 2003 file or any other format. Of course saving a file to a previous version format may result in losing some features (formatting, etc.), but Office will tell you before you save the file.

You can create a file from scratch and save it as any older format you wish. For example: You can create a new Excel workbook in Excel 2007 and save it as an Excel 2000 file type, or an Excel 2003 file type, etc.

One feature I like is the increased capability of Excel. There are now 1,048,000 rows versus the previous 65,536 and columns were increased to 65,536 versus 256. When I do real work, it can accommodate the large data files I occassionally run into.

There are also some very snazzy templates and tools that accompany the programs.

Just my $0.02.

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Velocity Micro, Vista Ultimate 32-bit/SP2, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz, 4GBRam, 400GB HDD, 320MB nVidia 8800GTS, Networked, 2-Way Satellite, 250 GB External Network HDD
Go to Top of Page

Pat Gav
Supporting Member

95 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  20:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave, I really value your opinion. I think I will go with 2007.

Pat
Inquiring minds want to know...Windows 7 Home Premium...high speed wireless internet.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah

204 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  08:41:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Pat,

There is a learning curve with 2007, but since you are buying new and upgrading, I would also recommend 2007 over 2003 just because 2003 is now outdated. 2010 is already in beta, so even with the learning curve, it makes sense to go ahead and bite the bullet and update.

As David says, 2007 has strong points, one of which, in my opinion, is that you'll be able to read files others send you in the newer formats without having to download plugins and viewers.

Let us know how it goes.
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  12:21:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well. I will be very honest here. I really didn't like the new interface because of having to "relearn" it all over again. Let's face it, I am at the ge where I CAN learn - just don't force me to relearn. Secretly, I am wishing and praying microsoft will return to a simpler interface, but I don't look for that to happen. As long as the "right-click" menus are still available along with some of the shortcut keystrokes I will manage.

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Velocity Micro, Vista Ultimate 32-bit/SP2, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz, 4GBRam, 400GB HDD, 320MB nVidia 8800GTS, Networked, 2-Way Satellite, 250 GB External Network HDD
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  21:30:14  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am getting in a little late to this discussion, but have you considered/tried Open Office? It is unquestionably NOT the equal of Excel/Word/Powerpoint, but it is fairly compatible, close to the '97 versions, it saves all the same file-formats, (at least pretty closely) has very similar menus, as well as saving PDF without any help... and it is free. And most of the extra features that are present in newer versions of MS Office are only useful to geeks like me and David. I have had few complaints for the last 2.5 years, this computer has only Open Office, and I have had very little need to go to the backup-machine to use MSO-2003. (Though I do lust after the giga-cell spreadsheets)

ʞɔᴉƜ
Go to Top of Page

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  23:24:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Mick. It's just that I use MSO for my day job and as a professional tool. (MSO has a free download from their site that adds the ability to save anything in *.pdf format aslo). Yes - I just downloaded and installed OpenOffice 3.2

David

Go to Top of Page

Pat Gav
Supporting Member

95 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  19:27:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also agree with Mick, but the church already has some things that they use every week that have been created in MSO. While they may work fine in OO, everyone is used to using MSO. I recommend Open Office to everyone.

Pat
Go to Top of Page

Mary
Operating Member

368 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  23:35:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a program from MS labs called Search Commands that can be inserted as a part of the Ribbon in Office 2007. You type in the search box the command you want and it shows you where it is in 2007. I wrote an article about it some time back. I used it a little, but have become fairly proficient in 2007 so rarely have it use it. The download is at http://www.officelabs.com/projects/searchcommands/Pages/default.aspx

Win 7, 2.211 GHz and Vista
Go to Top of Page

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2010 :  06:33:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, for those purchasing software for non profit organizations, you may like the Tech Soup site.

David
"One of the greatest things about the Internet is that you can quote something and totally make up the source."
--- Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000