How do you reduce dpi and pix
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joy
Participating Member

17 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2010 :  10:23:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need to reduce my jpg for a website. They tell me mine are too big. I need 72dpi and max 400pix. I have Vista, Pacasa, and Photoshop Elements 5.0 will they do this?
Joy

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2010 :  13:41:49  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, both Picasa and Photoshop Elements will. However... In Picasa, I cant find a direct way, only when I get to the controls to "upload" does it give me a way to reduce the size. I guess you could upload it, while reducing the size, then download the smaller piture but that seems a waste of effort.

It is much more direct in Gimp, and I am sure in Photoshop, but I dont know the exact buttons in Photoshop. In Gimp, you click the "Image" menu, and look for "Print Size", or "Image Scale". Or use the "Scale" tool from the tool tray. I am sure there are similar function tools on Photoshop. Look for terms like "Resolution" and "Size".

One thing you should consider first before any resolution changes, is to "Crop" the uninteresting parts of the picture. Nearly every picture I have ever taken has wasted space around the edges that are not important for the picture. They just take up bytes, and that is what the website is trying to reduce.

ʞɔᴉƜ
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2010 :  13:51:55  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, wait! here you go. I knew there had to be an easier way in Picasa

Found good tutorial on:
http://www.pinelake-marketing.com/picasa-tutorial/picasa-tutorial-resize-image.html

Basically:
Select the picture, then File->export-to-Folder.. change the settings as you wish.

I hate it when they hide stuff. Probably they do this because Picasa makes it very hard to use their editor to mess up a photo. By exporting, you are much more likely to avoid saving over your original.

ʞɔᴉƜ
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000