Office Applications
 Receiving Multiples of the Same Email
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2010 :  22:48:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Email is a strange bird as I have discovered.

Case in point:

I have (at one time in the past) received 2 of the same email, but not of every email. The, not too long ago, I began receiving 3 of each email, but only from the ICON Users Group Forum.

I finally got flustered enough with the issue in Outlook (never happened in Thunderbird) that I was determined to find the culprit...and DID! Here is the solution:

In Outlook, go to TOOLS, Rules and Alerts..., and start checking how many rules you have that involve the SAME EMAIL ADDRESS or refer to the SAME ANYTHING. And guess what? Yep. I found that I had referred to some portion of the address, subject, sender, etc. 3 times in various rules I had set up! It happened because I told the "rule" to check emails as they came into my Inbox. So happens that if an email conforms to the criteria of 3 different email rules - it gets sent to my ICON folder 3 times.

I have not set up any rules in Thunderbird as of yet, but would bet that it works the same there also.

Who woulda thunk it?

Well. Now we all know the solution. So - Go fix your "Rules and Alerts...".

David
"One of the greatest things about the Internet is that you can quote something and totally make up the source."
--- Thomas Jefferson

Velocity Micro, Vista Ultimate 32-bit/SP2, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz, 4GBRam, 400GB HDD, 320MB nVidia 8800GTS, Networked, 2-Way Satellite, 250 GB External Network HDD

Edited by - D.Oliver on 11/22/2010 22:51:16

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  08:48:35  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Odd, if I have multiple rules that fit the same message, it gets multiple copies made? So, the irritating pre-election get-out-the-vote messages, I should have 6 or 8 copies in my trash can?

ʞɔᴉƜ
Go to Top of Page

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  11:56:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well. This whole thing is semi-unproven.

My ISP has an email portal on the web. My email of each post from ICON comes in as a single copy, but bringing my email from my ISP to Outlook nets me 3 copies of each email. The only difference I can see is the Rules and Alerts I have set up on my machine.

I suppose I'll know more tonight since I know I'll see your post as an email I'll receive.

I have removed all but one Rule for emails from ICON so should only get one copy each of any emails I receive from ICON.

David
"One of the greatest things about the Internet is that you can quote something and totally make up the source."
--- Thomas Jefferson

Velocity Micro, Vista Ultimate 32-bit/SP2, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz, 4GBRam, 400GB HDD, 320MB nVidia 8800GTS, Networked, 2-Way Satellite, 250 GB External Network HDD
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  14:04:58  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I cant help with the proof. I just checked, I dont find any "rules" setting in Thunderbird--maybe it is called "Filters"? It sounds similar, but I do not have any. All my filtering, I do in Gmail settings, and TBird seems to reflect those settings.

Having the rules/filters set at the ISP seems preferable to me, because I can set them once and have it work for multiple computers, or other mail reading devices, e.g. phones, cars, TV sets, refrigerators...

I always just assumed that the redundant copy emails were just the originator making sure I paid proper attention to his excellent offer to forward my lottery winnings to my bank account (all I have to do is give him the account number and password).
Go to Top of Page

Sarah

204 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2010 :  09:20:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Following this one with interest. Jim Stewart reported previously that he was getting duplicate email notifications from the forum (don't know if he still is), and I think one other person over the years has said the same thing.

I periodically get duplicates (using Outlook 2007)in email from my web host's server, but usually that's when I know that Outlook hiccupped and lost track of what it had downloaded and what it had not, or the host server lost sync. It's all rare. I've never gotten duplicates from ICON's forum and therefore have had no success in tracking down why that would happen.

And of course, I get the same duplicates Mick gets. If I'd just give them the information they want maybe they would stop sending.
Go to Top of Page

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2010 :  20:55:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay. My tests are complete and my estimated results have been fully confirmed.

Today, after having weeded my "Rules and Alerts..." to one-per-email received, I received one copy of every email received for which I had one rule. If, for example, I were to have 2 rules for, let's say a CNN.com news email, I would show 2 CNN.com emails. Remember: The multiple emails would only show up if the email received was (per the rules) moved or copied to a sub-folder.

Just thought this could be someones "big adventure" solved.

David
--- Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  01:56:42  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just a note, dont know if it is the same issue, but when I send an email from my phone, in the sent folder it shows it being sent to the same address 4 times. It does not as far as I know send it 4 times, it just has the same address 4 times on the "To:" line.

ʞɔᴉƜ
Go to Top of Page

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  10:11:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hmmm...sometimes I think MS Office has just too many "features".

David
--- Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000