Office Applications
 Do you use Wordpad?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  12:09:59  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have always been a big fan of Wordpad. I like that it opens quickly, has a simple interface, and lets me do 90% of the formatting I ever want. But the Windows-7 version of Wordpad has been crippled, presumably so as not to compete with sales of Word--No menu, un-alterable tool-bars everywhere, and no way to set my own preferences for the default. I really hate how it adds that extra 10 point space after every paragraph, and the setting to fix that is not sticky.

It was cold and snowy out, and I had a little spare time...

I just created a blank document with the "add 10pt spacing..." option turned off and the line spacing, font, font size, etc., all set the way I want them and saved this document to a document folder as "template.rtf".

Then on the taskbar, where I usually launch Wordpad, I opened the properties of the Wordpad icon. (You have to right click Wordpad's taskbar icon, then rightclick again on "Wordpad", just above "Pin to..."), then I modified the Properties, Shortcut-Target, where it reads:
"%ProgramFiles%\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe"
to read
"%ProgramFiles%\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe" "D:\Data\template.rtf"
where D:\Data... is the place I saved the template.

This tells the Icon to,rather than Launch Wordpad, Open Wordpad and load the template.rtf document.

Now, when I open the WordPad taskbar shortcut, it just opens that blank document and everything is set the way I want it.

Just to be sure, I went back to the folder where I stored the document "template.rtf" and changed its properties, under "attributes" and checked "Read only". To prevent accidently writing-over my master document.

ʞɔᴉƜ
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000