configure wirelesss ubuntu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jimstewart
Operating Member

239 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2012 :  23:24:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just changed from att dsl ,on phone wire, to U-verse. MS xp pro, vista, and win 7 reconfigured to uverse router.
Does anybody know step by step to configure for linux ubuntu 10.04 &/or 12.04 version. I have looked up google but most are "linux talk with command line entry" and i must have simple lay man directions.

operating systems;
xp home & pro & linux plus vista & Win 7
laptop & pc's w/broadband IP.

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  00:47:31  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim, tell us where you are. What have you done so far. Do you have a wireless router working, (did you transfer your old router to the new network?) Is your windows machines working? I have forgotten a lot about Linux, but once you get the connection working with Windows, it should be fairly simple. Bring it to the Library, and we can kick it around with the library connection, maybe give you some ideas about where it would be different.

ʞɔᴉƜ
Go to Top of Page

jimstewart
Operating Member

239 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  15:26:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds good to me. ubuntu 10.04 & 12.04 win xp pro, vista, & win 7 all on dsl 2=wire router wired and wireless. uverse installed with motorola router. Install tech trimmed down router security/protocol for xp to use. vista and win 7 changed ok ,with ssid and key password used. ubuntu will go interned hard wired but will not see wireless att808 ssid.
I looked at network connection(ubuntu) or whatever it's called, and could not satisfy info it needed to connect. I have the motorola ip address and got all ita mac address, woreless key plus lots of other info.
I will use your help when we can both apply effort and will post more exact info here in the mean time.
thanks jim s.

operating systems;
Go to Top of Page

jimstewart
Operating Member

239 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  16:04:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just went to ubuntu 12.04 5 minutes later and it had deciced to give in. It told me there is a wireless network available and wired was disconnected. may be hooking it up wired yesterday gave it ideas?
went to system settings, wireless and selected ssid;;att808 and entered key and here i am!!
now i have the edit info, ssid, no bssid, mac address, wlan0 , wep security, MTU auto, etc so may get 10.04 0n wireless and it might be ready when i reboot.
thanks jim s.

operating systems;
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000