gmail & links to url
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jimstewart
Operating Member

239 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2012 :  09:20:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am having a problem sending a url in a email and having the recipient actually receive an active executable link.
any ideas, suggestions and /or reference material would be helpful.
thanks jim s.

operating systems;
xp home & pro & linux plus vista & Win 7
laptop & pc's w/broadband IP.

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2012 :  00:59:44  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimstewart

I am having a problem sending a url in a email and having the recipient actually receive an active executable link.
any ideas, suggestions and /or reference material would be helpful.
thanks jim s.

I did a quick search, and got http://goo.gl/XawvY
But I doubt you will find a simple solution that will work for all conditions. I have found two frequent situations in which the imbedded links in email are not clickable.
1) some email receiving clients just do not recognize the HTTP://--- as a clickable link. My memory is that AOL did not recognize.
2) some email sending programs insert a "line-wrap" in the middle of the URL, and the broken lines do not form a completed address.

For one easy thing, I always to put URLs on a fresh line. (hit carriage return before and after pasting it to put the URL on a line by itself). For another, you can, in many email programs, find a feature to allow pasting a URL with included code. this button
for the forum allows imbedding code characters that surround the link address, and make it more understandable to the program. If you click "reply with a quote" to this message, you can see how this URL looks. (I cant spell it out, because the forum try interpret it.)
Some similar code may work in you email. Try emailing samples of your experiments to your other email account to see if your tests have a chance of working.

If that does not work, I suggest that you try to coordinate an experiment with your email correspondents, and try to find if it is a length issue, and make sure which service everyone is using, Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail, or some form of Web mail, like Gmail, Yahoo, Juno... Find out particulars of what is not working, maybe you can find a fix.

ʞɔᴉƜ
Go to Top of Page

jimstewart
Operating Member

239 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  09:14:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does your above answer apply to this question? if there are additional solutions i would appreciate!!
I am trying to send a gmail to a address and it can not be found.
delivery to the following recipient failed permanently
brandyborgdonlife@gmail.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try double-checking the recipient's email address for typos or unnecessary spaces. Learn more at http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?answer=6596

----- Original message -----

MIME-Version: 1.0
Received: by 10.14.193.134 with SMTP id k6mr10004594een.15.1352253759017; Tue,
06 Nov 2012 18:02:39 -0800 (PST)
Received: by 10.14.119.70 with HTTP; Tue, 6 Nov 2012 18:02:38 -0800 (PST)
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 20:02:38 -0600
Subject: mary&jim s. preferred cust.
To: brandy brogdon <brandyborgdonlife@gmail.com>
Cc: jim stewart <ejs@yahoo.com>
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=047d7b343e2af3d21d04cdde1c6a

I ask brandy and she said her gmail works and she receives all of my sbcglobal.net email i have sent her.
Solutions pls!!!;;

operating systems;
xp home & pro & linux plus vista & Win 7
laptop & pc's w/broadband IP.
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  09:40:53  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim, it is not a good idea to post email addresses on a public internet forum. Even a forum with as puny participation as this one will be scanned by scammer/spammers looking for victims. I changed the email addresses in your message to minimize exposure to those addressees.

As to your question... No the previous answer does not apply. Now the email is not going through at all? (Before it was just that the links were not clickable.)

In my limited exposure to this sort of problem, when an email message "bounces" with an alert that the destination address does not exist, but in fact the address does exist, it can mean that the recipient's email service is blocking traffic from your address. This can happen if you send a LOT of email... but in this case, it does not seem likely, because both accounts are GMail.

Just assuming here that you DID visit the link provided in the bounce message? To avoid typos, can you have Brandy email your account and "reply" rather than typing and or pasting in her addy?

ʞɔᴉƜ
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000