Windows
 Windows XP, Office 2003 E.O.S.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2013 :  19:11:17  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
(E.O.S. = End Of Support )

It is not going to stop working, (at least not right away) but,
"Windows XP SP3 and Office 2003 will go out of support on April 8, 2014. If your organization has not started the migration to a modern desktop, you are late.... no new security updates, non-security hotfixes, free or paid assisted support options or online technical content updates"
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/endofsupport.aspx

I still have two XP systems, but I do not use them for surfing the net, or storing anything except duplicate backups.

ʞɔᴉƜ

D.Oliver

868 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2013 :  20:29:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would probably just keep on using them unless you've been attacked recently bu goblins, ghouls and virii. :-)

I still know of fairly large organizations that use Windows XP and Office 97 no less.

David
I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.
– Alan J. Perlis

Velocity Micro, Vista Ultimate 32-bit/SP2, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz, 4GBRam, 400GB HDD, 320MB nVidia 8800GTS, Networked, WiFi internet, 250 GB External Network HDD
Go to Top of Page

jimstewart
Operating Member

239 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2013 :  00:21:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For what it is worth and if I am correct just keep important , personal data backed up external to the hard drive then if your computer becomes infected badley just do a complete reinstall of the xp system and go on from there like nothing happened.

operating systems;
xp home & pro & linux plus vista & Win 7
laptop & pc's w/broadband IP.
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2013 :  00:59:23  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If a company manages the use of their computers carefully, like limiting their use to professional sites, they can minimize lots of risks that a private user might stumble over.

If you do plan to keep using XP, make sure to have a good collection of the updates. At least service pack 3. So, if you do have to do a re-install, you will be able to take out the long list os security problems that we already know about in the original version of XP. I have not done it for a while, but I think there was an admin mode on the Microsoft updates site, where you could download the service packs and patches for installing later.

ʞɔᴉƜ
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000