Internet
 Be careful out there.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2013 :  14:33:32  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heard a podcast on security, part of the discussion was on Microsoft Security Essentials, a pretty good free anti-virus. I dont remember if I have that on my system, so, I Googled it.

First result was (the green text is the link) www.microsoft.com, 3-1/2 stars.

But the second result, with 5 stars. had text like
"Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Download‎
Priceless Protection Trusted Protection from Microsoft‎
100% Free - Download Now - Quick & Easy Install - Trusted by Millions"

But, the second line of this second result, the important line, in green, was the URL (Unambigious Resource Locator), the home address of the site, ended in ".co/"

This "co" is the country code for Columbia. Now, I do not know this is a malicious site. But I have to ask myself. "Why would I want to go to Columbia to get an anti-virus software, rather than to a loyal American company like Microsoft?" I do not want to discourage using this site just because of its country of location, but it makes me wonder how many would notice this. How many folks notice the country code of a site?...

A more global question involves the format of Google search results (and Bing results). What is in the results when you do a search? The first line of each result, in blue, the clickable part, is the Title of the web page it links to. The second line, in green, is the address where the search process found the searched item, and the remainder is text extracted from the web page as an example of what caused the search engine to return that page as a valid search result.

The reason that the green line is so important is that it is the "address" of the page. It is where your browser is going to take you, if you click that title. Whereas, the blue link, the title, is any text whatsoever that the page author wants to put there. Any cheesy motel on the highway can call itself "The White House". But, the address, "1600 Pennsylvania Ave", is really there. And part of that address (for the Internet) is the country code.

Do we need a presentation on reading search results, with emphasis on interpreting URLs and country codes?

Enuff. I am going for a drive.

ʞɔᴉƜ
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000