Swapping Hard Drives in Windows 10
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pchelp
Operating Member

230 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2016 :  23:39:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I took an SSD out of a Dell laptop with an AMD processor and put it in another Dell laptop with an Intel I5 processor, not only did Windows find everything, it accepted the Windows serial numbers. I than took the same SSD and put it in a Dell desktop with an AMD processor and again it found all the drivers and accepted the Windows numbers, so finally I took that SSD again and put it in a Dell I7 desktop and everything worked. Maybe it is because they were all Dells, but Windows 10 found all the drivers and never asked for the windows serial numbers. Everything is working perfectly. Another nice thing about Windows 10 when the time comes to swap computers. Just thought that you might like to know.

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2016 :  13:21:50  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good info. Not sure I would want to bet the farm with my data, but since we all have our data backed up, that would be a good way to upgrade your computer to a new model.

Here is something that discourages me from a new computer, (the risk of distraction and effort) for your next experiment try this: Instead of swapping drives, run one of the disk duplication utilities, and install the dup in a new PC. Is there anyway to use the windows liscense from the new computer, (maybe by changing the product key) so that I can have, with just the small effort of duping the drive, a new computer that replaces my existing computer, and maintains a perfectly working set of all my software and configuration and data on the new computer, and have a zero effort fall-back to the old PC is the new one gets run over by a truck.

If it works, you might consider offering this sort of service in your selling of a new computer.

ʞɔᴉƜ
Go to Top of Page

pchelp
Operating Member

230 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2016 :  19:21:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mick
I always make an image of the computer that I will be playing with, as should all people who want to save the trouble of reformatting their hard drives. All the hard drive swapping that I have done has worked perfectly. Now, I have only used DELL computers, but with many different configurations. Heck, just make an image of your hard drive and give it a try.
Hank
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2016 :  23:30:32  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hank, I always, until very recently, replaced the HD on my new computers and reinstalled windows from DVD/CD. Was a lot cleaner system, Just never occurred to to me to copy the old OS. I guess usually the new PC had a different version of the OS anyway. And even if not, the old disk likely had drivers missing necessary to the new hardware.

This idea does (potentially) change the hassle in moving to new PC though. I will have to reconsider carrying this clunker to the grave.

ʞɔᴉƜ
Go to Top of Page

pchelp
Operating Member

230 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2016 :  23:56:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mick
Remember, I am talking Windows 10. It may not work as well with Windows 7, or even older computers.
Hank
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2016 :  13:43:48  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Roger that! I would be surprised if older versions of windows would work this way

ʞɔᴉƜ
Go to Top of Page

pchelp
Operating Member

230 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2016 :  14:56:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mick
Do you play around with LINUX O/Ss?
I loaded and played around with ZORIN today and it is not a bad O/S. This one comes the closest I have seen to Windows XP and or Windows 7.
I also played around with a new (new to me) program called Windows XP Golden. Have you heard of these?
Hank
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2016 :  11:59:09  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hank, I really tried hard on Linux several years back.

One problem is, that I dont need a replacement just for Win XP/7/10, I need a replacement for Win 3/NT/2000 also, plus something for DOS, and a little for CP/M, and all the programs that I have run on these. I love learning new stuff, but I despise change-for-the-sake-of-change. When I have a program that I have invested time in learning, I dont upgrade just to get the the new beige and maroon striped interface.

2. is that I feel the end getting closer (climate change?, Nuclear conflict?, Syrian Flu?, Apocalypse?, Rapture?,... (One other really big one that I have forgotten...Oh yeah, I am forgetting stuff at a scary rate)) And I am pretty sure that trying to learn a new OS would be futile for me.

I have not tried any of the new Linux for about 3 years, but I have a lot of stuff to do anyway.

ʞɔᴉƜ
Go to Top of Page

pchelp
Operating Member

230 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2016 :  12:36:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mick
Remember how it was when we were flying in Vietnam? We lived for the day, never looked back, just forward for the next mission. Windows next mission is Windows 10 - if you really get down to learning it, it is much easier and cleaner than the older Windows. My opinion only!
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2016 :  18:07:42  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hank, I am jus now watching this episode of Security Now, several topics you may be interested in r.e. Windows 10 upgrades.

1) A lawsuit where a lady had an unwelcome copy or 10 forced on her machine which fail and locked up her machine. She sued, and WON, but MS appealed expected, but now MS has quit the appeal fearing a loss of huge portion, fiscally and publicty-wise. You may have some interested customers?

2) This month is the end of the free upgrade to Win10, but what if you want to stay 7/8 for now and preserve the option for 10? Steve says you can upgrade to 10 and liscense the machine to 10, then roll-back to 7/8 (keeping the registration number for 10) for a later free upgrade. Even more tasty, clone the 7/8 hd, run the upgrade to 10, swap drives, back to 7/8, and save the clone until you are ready to upgrade. Your customers might be interested?

https://twit.tv/shows/security-now video version original copy
https://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm text file version converted version

either place look for episode SN 566
video, about 15 minutes in and 1:30 in

ʞɔᴉƜ
Go to Top of Page

pchelp
Operating Member

230 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2016 :  23:47:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mick
I also watch the same topics and several others. I do agree, if you have any thinking of not staying with Windows 10, then by all means upgrade your computer to 10 and image the hard drive and if you wish, roll it back. I would suggest, just put an image on a hard drive and than just store it till you do decide to go to and stick with Windows 10. Who knows what MicroSoft will do after the 29th. I do think it is wise to go to Windows 10 and stick with it. Once you really learn it, it is great.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000