Could not reformat the normal way
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pchelp
Operating Member

230 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2016 :  11:04:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday a lady brought me a computer that was locked out with ransom ware. She refused to pay, so I thought that all I had to do was reformat the computer and it would be fixed. NO! No matter how I reformatted it, it would just lock up once the new O/S was on it. I finally had to format it with LINUX, run all the tests, and than reformat it to Windows 10. It all works now, but this is the first time I came across this problem. Just thought that you might like to know that if you ever see this, there is a fix.

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2016 :  12:10:17  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just gave me a new idea. How about a Linux thumb drive that does not install, but just runs, and has a Windows cleanup utility. Could possibly be used to over-ride those malwares that take over so you cant eject them.

We are going to need to be pretty inventive. Listening to security gurus suggests that we are on the eve of destruction, due to growing malware industry

ʞɔᴉƜ
Go to Top of Page

pchelp
Operating Member

230 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2016 :  12:33:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mick
I did try booting with the LINUX O/S that is on a USB stick (MINT 17.4) I tried to clean up anything that I thought might be causing the lock-up problem. Could not find anything. So, just went ahead and installed Linux on the hard drive, made sure it was running correctly, than just reformatted it back again to Windows 7. I am still running tests, but all seems to work correctly. I agree with you, that is why I keep all my data on a external hard drive, than if I were to have a problem, just do a quick reformat and I am up and running quickly. I always plan to such a problem, but as of yet I have not personally.
Hank
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000