Backing UP using File History
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pchelp
Operating Member

230 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  19:06:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was asked today WHY doesn't windows have a back-up method that is easy to use. I explained how I do a back-up (copy) that I explained several meetings ago. But, Windows does have a very easy way to back-up your data and it can be made to be automatic: Windows 10:
L/C = Left mouse click
l/c on Windows button (left bottom)
l/c settings
l/c update & security
l/c backup (backup using file history)
l/c more options (change what ever settings that you want)
back-up to a different drive (be sure to have an external drive, or large enough jump drive to back-up to).
On the ext. stick that I tested it on, it took just under five minutes to back up 38 gigs of data. After it did the back-up, I checked the jump drive to see what was on it. I made sure it got all that I wanted. Here is my results.
Go to the drive where you backed up your data:
l/c file history
l/c dell
l/c windows-ect 1383
l/c data
l/c C
l/c user
l/c DELL
I checked on all the listed files (everything was there)
You can set Windows to back-up as you see fix, or do it manually as you see fit.
Just thought you would like to know - I do not back-up this way, but you may give it a try and like it. It can be automatic if desired.

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2016 :  13:03:55  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A little more on Backing Up your data. As usual, my way is a little old fashioned compared to Hank's way.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LpksJc9nDbzqeoBFSupaafzFGjhE8YLsdzE3AkVRYdY/edit?usp=sharing

ʞɔᴉƜ
Go to Top of Page

pchelp
Operating Member

230 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2016 :  15:33:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mick
XCOPY and the way it is explained in the above message is fine, especially in the older computers that still support XCOPY. The way Windows 10 does file backup is OK also, at least you can set it to do automatic file saves and it does save to another drive other than "C". The way I explained it at our meeting is still the best for me. Creating a drive image is by far the best if you want to save Windows and other programs. Each to their own I guess. No matter how you do it, BACK-UP!
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2016 :  16:18:36  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One tool that I have used in my last 5-6 computers, is the drive "clone" tools. When I get a new computer, I always ordered a replacement HD at the same time. Then before using it, I would clone the HD externally, then hook up to my previous computer, copy all the data from there, then swap that drive with the new PC drive.

I always had plans to clone periodically, but mostly got lazy. Of course all my efforts have been for naught, as I have not had a drive failure since I cant remember when.

But I have saved so much that trying to find things among the savings, older than the recent stuff has become a research project... But that is good, because I frequently get fortuitous search results that I had forgotten about. (I was searching for a rather tedious system tweak for windows-7, found the answer in an on-line forum, that I had figured out and posted myself 6 months earlier. embarrassing)

ʞɔᴉƜ
Go to Top of Page

pchelp
Operating Member

230 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2016 :  12:03:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mick
When was the last time a hard drive went bad? For me, I had to replace a hard drive three yeas ago, this one was new from Lenovo. Right out of the box it did not work. They sent me a new one and in 5 minutes it was replaced. DATA is another story. If a person just gets used to back up their data on a regular basis, it would be so much easier to replace hard drive, or complete computers. But, if people actually did back up on a regular basis, I would be making much less money. There is NO money in selling computers or even fixing them, but saving or retrieving data, that is where the money is.
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2016 :  14:34:24  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Guess we will have to stop encouraging folks to do their backup, dont want to cut into your livelyhood.

ʞɔᴉƜ
Go to Top of Page

Mary
Operating Member

368 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2016 :  16:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Henry, Will the Dell plan still work on other brands?
Go to Top of Page

pchelp
Operating Member

230 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2016 :  20:46:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mary, are you asking if the way I wrote about backing up your computer will work with some computer other than DELL, YES! I have backed up this was with all the different brands that I have come in contact with. It works every time for me.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000