WARNING!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pchelp
Operating Member

230 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  11:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Over the last four days, I have been contacted five time by scammers trying to get into my computers, here is some of what they say:
1. They are from Microsoft or a company working for Microsoft.
2. They want you to go to the RUN command and type "CMD" which gets you to the command level of your computer.
3. Once at the command level, they want you to type "ASSOC" which will eventually show you the CLSID. The want you to type "00C04FD7D062"
4. They than try to convince you that all the printout is bad stuff that is affecting your software.
5. They stated that for $300.00 they could repair all the problems and put a program on the computer that will keep it from happening again. (What they really want is access to your computer so they can get your passwords and other things plus have you pay the money.
6. I kept one of the persons on the phone for 1 hour and 27 minutes and got her down to only having to pay $25.00 so she could "FIX" my computer.
7. If this happens to you, HANG UP!! Or if you want, play with them for as long as you can so they do not get to someone who will actually pay them.
This is the most I have ever been hit in one weekend.

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  13:16:57  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is indeed a dangerous scam. I know a guy who paid them $200 by credid card, he got that back from the cc company, but it cost him big time to have someone clean the malware from his PC. Microsoft, the FBI, the IRS, the jury-duty monitor etc, rarely call you to ask for a credit card number. Do not believe Caller-ID on your phone. Any unexpected phone call should be viewed with suspicion... What a great world we live in. Maybe not great, but interesting anyway.

ʞɔᴉƜ
Go to Top of Page

pchelp
Operating Member

230 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  21:30:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mick
You sure are right. I got a call from a scammer who stated that he was from the IRS twice today. It actually sounded like a computer generated voice. It actually stated that if I did not call some number that it gave me, serious problems would befall me.
All the scams that I have been getting are from long distance phone numbers (NON-417 or other local numbers). Be careful.
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  23:02:17  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
These guys frequently forge the caller-id, so if they were smart they would go with a local phone area code, to make it more likely to get answered. But I guess if they were smart they would find a different line of work, or at least a better story. I have received one call, oon my home phone, that was IDd with my home phone number.

ʞɔᴉƜ
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000