Windows Event Log
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pchelp
Operating Member

230 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2016 :  13:53:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I had an older person complain about the computer I sold him, saying that it did not work correctly. He has been using it for over three months with no problems but com yesterday, it all went bad. He could not longer log into his email account with out a password. Come to find out he was hijacked and some one changed everything into SPANISH. He stated that he did nothing! Checking his activity in windows I showed him where he allowed a down load from a company that took over his computer. He was very surprised and out $100.00 for me to fix it.
If you are interested in seeing what is happening to your computer go to: (Windows 10): "C:\windows\system32\winevt" you will learn a lot about what your computer is doing as well as what your are doing with your computer. Thought you might be interested!

Mary
Operating Member

368 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2016 :  13:22:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do the number codes mean? For example today I had an error Event 33, SideBySide. The only thing I can think of was that I tried a non-recognizable keyboard just to make sure it wasn't working.

MARY

Win 10 Lenovo G585 Model name: 20137 and Dell XPS 8300 i5-2320 300 Ghz 8GB memory & 64-bit OS
Go to Top of Page

pchelp
Operating Member

230 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2016 :  18:36:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mary
That is the problem with the codes. Who knows what they mean? The codes can be looked up in a special book that can be bought from MicroSoft. Back in the good old days, I used to buy the book with each version of Windows. Now, who cares what the code means. Maybe MICK could get into the coding and decoding? What you say MICK?
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2016 :  22:42:36  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry to be late chiming in, but I have little to contribute anyway. I have never looked in the listings in "winevnt" directory. But just perchance it is related to the Windows Event Viewer app which I have dabbled in from time to time. (click Start, then type "event" and selecct the Event Viewer app.) This has a ton of obscure coded information, but if you dig diligently, and find the event you are curious about, perhaps under windows logs, or custom views, administrative events... then check that event's properties in the right hand pane, you can sometimes get useful hints about what is going on.

I Googled windows event viewer codes, and found only other frustrated customers.

ʞɔᴉƜ
Go to Top of Page

pchelp
Operating Member

230 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2016 :  23:38:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mick
Do you remember that rather large and expensive ($795.00) book that could be bought that explained the ins and outs of code way back in the DOS and eventually the early Windows days. I can not remember what it was called, but bought several books and used it a lot to trouble shoot early computer problems (software). What was it?
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2016 :  16:20:41  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No clue. I spent enough on the computers that I had little slack for books.

ʞɔᴉƜ
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000