Dropping internet connection!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pchelp
Operating Member

230 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2016 :  13:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have received many, many calls about the internet dropping from peoples computers both WIFI and hard wired. The best way to try to fix this problem is to release and renew your IP address. This has fixed hundreds of problems that we have encountered. Just thought you would like to know.

Mary
Operating Member

368 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2016 :  14:59:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting! How do you get to where to release/renew the IP address?

Win 10 Lenovo G585 Model name: 20137 and Dell XPS 8300 i5-2320 300 Ghz 8GB memory & 64-bit OS
Go to Top of Page

pchelp
Operating Member

230 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2016 :  15:13:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mary, this is one way of doing a reset.
Right click on Windows icon (start button)
left click on Command Prompt (Admin)
Than type in the following commands:
netsh winsock reset (enter)
netsh int ip reset (enter)
ipconfig /release (enter)
inconfig /renew (enter)
ipconfig /flushdns (enter)

Now reboot your computer and everything should work correctly.
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2016 :  12:43:24  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rats! I have been having this or a similar problem, and resolving it by unplugging the router. Now I have to wait for it to break again to see if this is a fix. It has been a long while since I used the IPCONFIG tools, I used to understand a small amount, but now forgotten. I am suspicious that this is not my problem because this looks like a PC fix, and I think mine is a router problem, indicated by the fact that wi-fi goes out for the phone also when the problem hits. Does IPCONFIG fix the router settings also?

Anyway thanks for the tip. Looking forward to my next outage so I can try your fix. (If I can remember to copy your tip locally so I can access it without a connection)

ʞɔᴉƜ
Go to Top of Page

pchelp
Operating Member

230 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2016 :  11:41:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YES MICK that is another way of trying to establish a connection to the internet, the only problem is if more than one computer is connected to the modem/router. Businesses usually do not want us to reset the modem/router for fear of having to reset all the computers passwords to get into the modem/router. Removing the power to the modem/router will usually reconnect the computer to it. The reason I brought this up is because last week a business did just as you stated and could not get back up on the internet, they called us. We did establish the connection for them, but they could not remember their passwords. $500.00 later, we got everything working for them. Just a warning, always remember your passwords.
Go to Top of Page

pchelp
Operating Member

230 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2016 :  11:46:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MICK another way that we reset the internet connection from the computer is to delete all the network adapter connection in the computer; restart your computer and the connections should establish themselves. This has worked great most of the time. If it fails, than you must establish connections manually. Just another way we repair problems with networks.
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2016 :  16:37:50  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now I can hardly wait for my connection to fail so I can check to see if your command-line process can fix it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000