Spear Phishing Attacks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pchelp
Operating Member

230 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2016 :  11:29:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson has said that the most devastating attacks by the most sophisticated attackers almost always begin with spear phishing emails. These are emails with malware-infected links that lure victims into clicking on them. What distinguishes spear phishing emails from ordinary phishing emails is the sophisticated tailoring of spear phishing emails to the intended victims which makes them more likely to trust the email. Spear phishing will continue to be the Achilles’ heel of cybersecurity in 2017. Had two of this type of email phishing this last week, so be very careful when opening an email especially with an attachment. Just thought you would like to know.

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2016 :  15:18:55  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pchelp

... emails with malware-infected links .... email especially with an attachment...

I was lucky in that I got started with non-Web-mail programs. Outlook express, Outlook, now Thunderbird. These all allow opening an email in the Plaintext mode, So I can open the email and judge the text content before activating the more dangerous parts. I have Gmail, but I have trained Thunderbird to get that mail, and show it to me with less risk.

ʞɔᴉƜ
Go to Top of Page

pchelp
Operating Member

230 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2016 :  15:36:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mick
I agree with you. There seems to be many more problems with Yahoo and MSN email service than others. When we set up a computer for an individual or business, we always suggest going with Google and for sure NOT with Yahoo.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000