Suggestion #1
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pchelp
Operating Member

230 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  10:59:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make a complete backup of your hard drive(s). Either back up your data or clone your hard drive(s) on a separate hard drive. GO TO SUGGESTIONS #2 THRU #10.

Edited by - pchelp on 01/16/2017 13:18:38

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  13:02:44  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The high reliability of today's hard drives teaches us all bad habits. It is so loong between losses that we forget how bad it would be. I was lucky. About 35 years ago I had a computer problem that lost my only try at poetry, and made me a believer in backing up.

Old experts advised keeping programs and data separate, and I defined "data" as anything that I need to backup, or anything that I would cry if I permanently lost it. Because I upgraded my PC every few years, I created a LAN (local area network) and kept my old computer on the lan with a shared HD. Then every month or so I would run a little batch file that copied my "data" to that drive on the LAN. Since the old computers are not on the internet and usually turned off I feel fairly confident about my backups.

ʞɔᴉƜ
Go to Top of Page

pchelp
Operating Member

230 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  14:53:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mick
You are right, when was the last time one of your hard drives failed? BUT - they do. This last year (2016) I replace just over 200 hard drives. Most went bad, and only 5 were of the old IDE type that I just would not work on, so it was replaced. The best back-up drive as of this date is backing or cloning to an SSD. Chances are a good SSD will last much longer than a hard drive. The cloud is also a way to back-up your data, but you know how I feel about the cloud. NSA!
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2017 :  15:36:38  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep, they do fail. I treat HD failure as a form of security problem, and security is the other end of the see-saw from convenience. Unfortunately, it takes a little attention.

My LAN approach was to increase convenience. One of the other approaches I used for a while was a HD plugged into the USB plug on a relatively new router. Did it mostly to allow streaming media but it was also used as a destination for backup files. But not sure how it would be for SSD devices. Also, maybe the "always-on" aspect would make it more vulnerable to hacks.

Also have seen some suggestion that SSD would not like some of the OS habits of continuous defragging and refreshing browser and other buffers. It all gets so tedious. Maybe my memory will fail before my next HD failure.

And if I get sloppy and have a crash, I can always hope for Spin-rite from grc.com to rescue me.

ʞɔᴉƜ

p.s. You really concerned about NSA, you probably saw this
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/01/obama-administration-relaxes-rules-on-nsa-intelligence-sharing/
Go to Top of Page

pchelp
Operating Member

230 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2017 :  18:50:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mick
AAH! Spin rite, that was a great program back when? Have you ever heard of the program called "FREEZE"? That program actually freezes your computer in what ever state it is in when you install it and that is how it is kept. Get a virus, delete a needed ini or exe and all you have to do is shut your computer down and than back on and all is fixed. It has worked every time for me. One program that does what it is supposed to do.
The idea with the back-up, is to back-up on something regularly. I do it daily with out fail if I used the computer that day.
Hank
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2017 :  22:46:30  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Freeze sounds like what the Library uses for their public use PCs. Spinright is still a pretty respected program, by Steve Gibson, a security guru, who makes enough off Spinright to let him spend the time to do "Security Now" podcast that I love. He also has lots of free utilities with a security orientation. I do not casually recommend sources for security on the internet but I make an exception for Gibson ( grc.com )

ʞɔᴉƜ
Go to Top of Page

pchelp
Operating Member

230 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  00:07:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Freeze is used by many public places, I first learned about it when teaching at OTC. The students who wanted to show me up, would delete the WIN.INI file and than complain that their assigned computer did not work. A reboot fixed it. I have used it in one way or another ever since. A great program. Hank
Go to Top of Page

Mary
Operating Member

368 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2017 :  18:01:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the process if you want to install a new program after Freeze is installed?

Win 10 Lenovo G585 Model name: 20137 and Dell XPS 8300 i5-2320 300 Ghz 8GB memory & 64-bit OS
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Administrator

1496 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  12:38:32  Show Profile  Visit Mick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mary, try Sarah for this, I guess she still works at the library.

ʞɔᴉƜ
Go to Top of Page

pchelp
Operating Member

230 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2017 :  16:09:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mary! It depends on what version you have, but generally it goes like this. Have the program ready that you want to install or upgrade, reboot your computer in the thawed mode, install your new program and make any changes to any thing that you may want to change, than reboot your computer in the freeze mode. That is all there is to it. You just have to remember, any thing that you install, download, and create in the freeze mode will be gone when you reboot. Hope this helps: Hank
Go to Top of Page

Mary
Operating Member

368 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2017 :  16:26:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That does answer my question.
Mary

Win 10 Lenovo G585 Model name: 20137 and Dell XPS 8300 i5-2320 300 Ghz 8GB memory & 64-bit OS
Go to Top of Page

pchelp
Operating Member

230 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2017 :  22:41:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mary. Are you actually using freeze on a computer? And if so, what version are you using? I installed the newest version on a business computer that I work with and you can even make a section that can be updated. This is one program that actually does what it is supposed to do. A great program I think. Hank
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ICON Computer Users Group © Interactive Computer Owners' Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000